Third Language Requirement
Students are required to complete a minimum of 9 units of courses on a language other than Chinese and English. Subject to the approval of the Division, credits gained for appropriate language courses at other institutions may be recognized.
In addition to the 9 units of third language courses, students are required to take courses in three years. In the first two years of their study, students shall complete at least 11 units of graduate courses, which include “Research Methodology Seminar I & II”, “Guided Study” and “Special Seminar on Selected Philosophical Issues” (twice).
Students not already possessing a degree in philosophy may be required to take additional units if deemed necessary. Students shall meet their supervisors regularly for academic discussion and progress report.
Students are required to take 6 units of thesis writing courses in the third year of their study and complete a PhD thesis with substantial contribution to scholarship.
Please visit the Division’s homepage for details.
In addition to the general requirements of the Graduate School, applicants should:
- have a MPhil degree in Philosophy or a related field from a recognized university;
- have sufficient knowledge of general logic;
- submit a thesis proposal of about 4 pages;
- submit a paper (10-15 pages for English, or 10,000 – 15,000 words for Chinese) on a topic in philosophy; and
- attend an interview (shortlisted applicants).
The thesis proposal and paper should be sent to the Division of Philosophy at email@example.com by the application deadline.
HKPFS Application Deadline
(for PhD programmes only)
- To submit an initial application to RGC: By 12 noon, 1 December 2020 (Hong Kong time); and
- To submit full application to CUHK: By 5 pm, 1 December 2020 (Hong Kong time).
Please refer to HKPFS page for more details.