Students must pass the candidacy examination within 24 months from first entry.
Students entering with a research master’s degree are required to complete a minimum of 65 units for graduation, including a minimum of 12 units of lecture courses, 48 units of thesis research courses and 5 units of seminar courses.
Students entering without a research master’s degree are required to complete a minimum of 91 units for graduation, including a minimum of 12 units of lecture courses, 7 units of seminar courses and 72 units of thesis research courses.
For completion of the programme, students must submit a thesis based on their research and pass an oral examination.
Fields of Specialization
- Plant, Animal and Microbial Biotechnology
- Genomics, Proteomics and Bioinformatics
- Protein Structure and Genetic Engineering
- Developmental Biology, Immunology and Neuroscience
In addition to the general requirements of the Graduate School, applicants should have a degree in Molecular Biotechnology, Biochemistry, Biology or related fields from a recognized university.
Applicants are advised to contact a prospective advisor to discuss their area of interest before submitting an application.
HKPFS Application Deadline
(for PhD programmes only)
- To submit an initial application to RGC: By 12 noon, 1 December 2020 (Hong Kong time); and
- To submit full application to CUHK: By 5 pm, 1 December 2020 (Hong Kong time).
Please refer to HKPFS page for more details.