Students must pass the candidacy examination within 24 months from first entry.
- Coursework: 12 units
- Guided Study: 1 unit each term
- Thesis Research: 6 units each term during pre-candidacy period and 12 units each term during post-candidacy period
- For students entering with a research master’s degree, the normative study period is 36 months
In the final year of study, students must submit a thesis to the Division and pass an oral examination defending his/her thesis.
Fields of Specialization
Synthesis, characterization and properties of semiconductor and metal nanostructures, ceramic-metal composites, undercooled metal liquids, nanostructured metal composites, biomorphic materials, surface science, nanoplasmonics, nanophotonics, nonlinear optical properties of organic materials, applications of nanoparticles in biology and medicine, nano-bio interface and nanoplatforms for theranostics, solar energy materials, energy storage materials, computational biophysics, computational materials physics.
Please visit the Division’s homepage for more information.
In addition to the general requirements of the Graduate School, applicants should have a Bachelor’s degree in Materials Science and Engineering or a related field.
HKPFS Application Deadline
(for PhD programmes only)
- To submit an initial application to RGC: By 12 noon, 1 December 2020 (Hong Kong time); and
- To submit full application to CUHK: By 5 pm, 1 December 2020 (Hong Kong time).
Please refer to HKPFS page for more details.