The programme is research-oriented with each student being directly supervised by a faculty member.
- Complete all the graduate courses required by the Department.
- When deemed necessary by advisor/supervisor, student may be required to take other courses.
- Each PhD student is required to pass a written candidacy examination within the maximum period of his/her candidacy stage for the advancement to his/her post-candidacy stage.
- Submit thesis proposal and defence.
- Each PhD student is required to submit a thesis and pass the oral defence of the thesis for graduation.
Fields of Specialization
The Department of Management focuses on teaching and research in the following areas of management studies:
1. Organization Studies
Specific topics include organizational behavior, organization change and development, and organization and management theory.
2. Human Resource Management
Research is conducted on staffing, selection, performance appraisal, compensation, and training and development.
3. Strategic Management
Areas of interest include competitive analysis, strategy formulation and implementation, globalization, corporate social responsibility, technology management, and the role of executives.
4. International Business and Management
Emphasis is placed on foreign market entry strategies, foreign direct investments, international joint venture management, the management of multinational enterprises, international human resource management, China business, Japanese business and cross-cultural management.
Entrepreneurship research concentrates on the creation and management of new ventures, venture capital, small business management, business groups, family-owned business and Chinese entrepreneurship.
The major academic strength of the Faculty members lies in the areas of international business – and in particular management issues related to emerging economies – and cross-cultural and comparative management, with an emphasis on the management issues of arising in Asia-Pacific, Hong Kong and China.
Please visit the Division’s homepage for more information.
In addition to the general requirements of the Graduate School, applicants should fulfill the requirements as set by the Faculty of Business Administration. Please refer to the programme’s website for details.
HKPFS Application Deadline
(for PhD programmes only)
- To submit an initial application to RGC: By 12 noon, 1 December 2020 (Hong Kong time); and
- To submit full application to CUHK: By 5 pm, 1 December 2020 (Hong Kong time).
Please refer to HKPFS page for more details.