The programme is research-oriented with each student being directly supervised by a faculty member.
- Complete all the graduate courses required by the Department.
- When deemed necessary by advisor/supervisor, student may be required to take other courses.
- Each PhD student is required to pass a written candidacy examination within the maximum period of his/her candidacy stage for the advancement to his/her post-candidacy stage.
- Submit thesis proposal and defence.
- Each PhD student is required to submit a thesis and pass the oral defence of the thesis for graduation.
Fields of Specialization
The Department of Finance pursues three research specializations:
1. Corporate Finance
The corporate finance research concentrates on company financing and investment activities and corporate governance. Specific research topics include capital structure decision, mergers and acquisitions, minority shareholder protection and corporate governance issues in China.
The main investment vehicles examined include stocks, bonds, gold, mortgages and derivatives. Specific research topics concentrate on the study of price behavior, asset pricing, market efficiency and implications for portfolio selection and investment strategies.
3. Financial Markets and Institutions
The research area covers the instruments traded in the financial markets, the analysis of money and capital markets, and economic and environmental problems related to acquisitions and the use of funds by financial institutions. Specific research studies include the collateralized debt obligation market, bank advertising and the marketing of products and services.
Please visit the Division’s homepage for more information.
In addition to the general requirements of the Graduate School, applicants should fulfill the requirements as set by the Faculty of Business Administration. Please refer to the programme’s website for details.
HKPFS Application Deadline
(for PhD programmes only)
- To submit an initial application to RGC: By 12 noon, 1 December 2020 (Hong Kong time); and
- To submit full application to CUHK: By 5 pm, 1 December 2020 (Hong Kong time).
Please refer to HKPFS page for more details.