A PhD position is available in the group of Prof. Kathleen Freson at the Center for Molecular and Vascular Biology at KU Leuven. The lab is located on the Gasthuisberg campus of KULeuven in Leuven, Belgium, a rich biomedical research environment neighboring the University Hospital UZLeuven.Website unit
Platelets, the 2nd most abundant cell in the blood, play an essential role in cardiovascular disease. Inherited bleeding, thrombotic and platelet disorders are characterized by marked genetic heterogeneity. In addition, platelet have been shown to be a good model to study other rare diseases, including neuropathologies. Our lab aims to find novel genes for unexplained platelet disorders with the use of whole genome and RNA sequencing datasets. Candidate genes will be validated by recalling families, using patients’ platelets and functional genetics in stem cell-based models.
The project is of interest for PhD students with an interest in human genetics and genomic technologies. It will combine dry and web lab work. Used methods: CRISPR/Cas, stem cell differentiation assays to megakaryocytes and platelets, flow cytometry and sorting, quantitative in vivo imaging, microscopy, RNAseq, platelet functional assays
The candidate should have a master in the field of (bio)medical sciences or equivalent.
● Sufficient knowledge about human genetics
● Expertise in microcopy and flow cytometry (from Masterthesis) is an added value.
● The candidate has excellent communication skills in written and spoken English.
● He/she is highly motivated to work in a multidisciplinary research team, as well as independently, has an open communication style and has a problem-solving attitude.
● The candidate is expected to apply for a PhD grant at the beginning of the PhD period, for example though the Flemish research funds (Fonds Wetenschappelijk Onderzoek).
● A full-time (100%) doctoral fellowship for one year (which will be extended after positive evaluation).
● Enrollment in the Doctoral School of Biomedical Sciences at KU Leuven
● Access to state-of-the-art technologies and a rich training environment
Please submit a motivation letter along with your CV and recommendation letter.
You can apply for this job no later than August 27, 2021 via the online application toolKU Leuven seeks to foster an environment where all talents can flourish, regardless of gender, age, cultural background, nationality or impairments. If you have any questions relating to accessibility or support, please contact us at diversiteit.HR@kuleuven.be.