Innovative sustainable energy technologies with minimal environmental impact will act as a catalyst to trigger breakthrough development in many fields, ranging from greener aviation, to safer electric vehicles, to longer endurance of 3C products. Studies in in sustainable energy technologies focus on cutting-edge research in the related cross-disciplines, including sustainable energy harvesting and conversion technologies; high-performance energy storage systems and electric vehicles; smart energy distribution, intelligent energy systems and energy saving strategies; hydrogen and electrolyzers; bioenergy and bio-inspired energy systems, and lifecycle analysis and recovery of energy system.
The Master of Philosophy (MPhil) and Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) Programs in Sustainable Energy and Environment aim to provide solid education and rigorous research training in sustainable energy technologies, as well as prototyping and transferring original research results on our campuses as living lab and to industrial collaborators. The programs will also offer dymanic pedagogical training to equip students with competitive and transferrable skills in sustainable energy technologies that serve regional and national industries with a global vision.
A PhD graduate is expected to demonstrate mastery of knowledge in the chosen discipline and to synthesize and create new knowledge, making an original and substantial contribution to the discipline.
On successful completion of the PhD program, graduates will be able to:
- Identify scientific and engineering significances in various sustainable energy technologies and their environmental impact;
- Apply a range of qualitative and quantitative research methods for conducting cutting-edge research in sustainable energy technologies or disruptive technology innovation;
- Transfer fundamental research insights and innovative ideas effectively and develop them into new domain knowledge and engineering prototypes; and
- Demonstrate independent and critical thinking, and develop a growth mindset, an innovative spirit, and a global vision in the field.
To qualify for admission, applicants must meet all of the following requirements. Admission is selective and meeting these minimum requirements does not guarantee admission.1. General Admission Requirements of the University
- Applicants seeking admission to a master’s degree program should have obtained a bachelor’s degree from a recognized institution, or an approved equivalent qualification;
- Applicants seeking admission to a doctoral degree program should have obtained a bachelor’s degree with a proven record of outstanding performance from a recognized institution; or presented evidence of satisfactory work at the postgraduate level on a full-time basis for at least one year, or on a part-time basis for at least two years.
2. English Language Admission Requirements
Applicants have to fulfill English Language requirements with one of the following proficiency attainments:
- TOEFL-iBT: 80*
- TOEFL-pBT: 550
- TOEFL-Revised paper-delivered test: 60 (total scores for Reading, Listening and Writing sections)
- IELTS (Academic Module): Overall score: 6.5 and All sub-score: 5.5
* refers to the total score in one single attempt
Applicants are not required to present TOEFL or IELTS score if
- their first language is English, or
- they obtained the bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) from an institution where the medium of instruction was English.