The Faculty of Sport and Health Sciences is currently seeking to recruit staff to the positions
(2-5) OF DOCTORAL STUDENT, beginning as from 1 september 2021 or according to a separate agreement, for a fixed term of not more than four years.
The main duties of doctoral students consist of research for the doctoral thesis and reporting the dissertation, postgraduate education, teaching assistance and possible other related tasks.
The duties, qualification requirements and language skills of doctoral student are stipulated by the University of Jyväskylä Regulations, Rectors´s decision on personnel matters and language skills guidelines. A good command of English is required.
A prerequisite for the doctoral student position is a suitable Master’s degree and the study right for doctoral studies at the Faculty of Sport and Health Sciences at the University of Jyväskylä. If the applicant does not already have the right for doctoral studies, it must be applied for by a separate application from the relevant faculty, considering application times.
What does the University of Jyväskylä offer as an employer?
At the University of Jyväskylä you are a valued member of our academic community with a unique opportunity to influence the research based education of engineering students. You become part of our international and multi-science community where the welfare of each individual is important. At Jyväskylä we offer a great and lively campus area with opportunities to maintain an active and healthy lifestyle.
We offer a wide range of staff benefits, such as occupational health care, flexible working hours, excellent sports facilities as well as several restaurants and cafés on campus with staff discounts. Finland provides one of the most advanced and comprehensive social security in the world. It includes for example sickness benefits, various family benefits and a comprehensive healthcare system. Please read more about working at the University of Jyväskylä, the City of Jyväskylä and living in Finland.
Your total salary for a doctoral student is around € 2,200 – 2,700 per month, depending on your skills and previous experience.
A trial period of six months will be used when the position is first filled.
How to apply
The application should include as PDF files:
1. Application letter. The letter should also indicate the schedule for starting in the doctoral student’s position, if the applicant is unable to take up the post from September 1, 2021.
2. Curriculum vitae (CV), composed according to good scientific practice and considering when possible the template for researcher´s curriculum vitae by The Finnish Advisory Board on Research Integrity. See: http://www.tenk.fi/en.
3. List of publications
4. Research plan (max. 10 pages, including references and annexes) should include:
1) The cover sheet; research topic/planned title; the name of the doctoral program; names of the members in the steering group and the monitoring group; duration of employment applied for in months; estimated dissertation year
2) the scientific basis of the study (½-1 page)
3) the purpose and research problems of the research
4) research methods (this section describes the study layout, the studies, methods of measurement and analysis and, if necessary, interventions)
5) ethical issues
6) brief presentation of the postgraduate student, the supervisors and the member of the follow-up group
7) current stage of the research work and the timetable for the study and the publication plan (plan of titles and authors of articles and order of authors)
8) financial plan (the doctoral school position includes only the salary of the doctoral student. Indicate in this section the total funding of the dissertation project; whether the research data is already available or will it be collected during the project; if the research data has not yet been collected, how will it’s collection be financed)
9) benefits of the research
10) project risks and their management.
5. Reference letter from the supervisor (max. 1 page).
Please submit your application at the latest on 23 May 2021 using the online application form.
For further information, please contact: Professor Sarianna Sipilä, email: email@example.com,+358408053593 or Head of Administration Heikki Herva, email: firstname.lastname@example.org; +358504432400.