The Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) Program is designed to prepare students for careers in academia, policy research or consultancy related to the affairs of society, polity or the economy. A candidate for a PhD degree is expected to demonstrate mastery of knowledge in the chosen discipline and to synthesize and create new knowledge, making an original and substantial contribution to the discipline.
On successful completion of the PhD program, graduates will be able to:
- Make rigorous use of diverse methodological tools for social analysis;
- Creatively design and effectively carry out research that makes significant theoretical and/or empirical contributions to relevant fields; and
- Publish high-quality research output in leading academic venues.
The programs are offered by the Division of Social Science, with the following research foci.
Research focuses primarily on the evolving economy, polity and society of Mainland China. Specific topics encompass economic reforms and development, social stratification and mobility, contentious politics, foreign policy and relations, historical demography and migration, environmental policy, emotions and the Chinese personality, as well as broad issues pertaining to gender, culture and the role of innovation and technology in society.
To qualify for admission, applicants must meet all of the following requirements. Admission is selective and meeting these minimum requirements does not guarantee admission.1. General Admission Requirements of the University
- Applicants seeking admission to a master’s degree program should have obtained a bachelor’s degree from a recognized institution, or an approved equivalent qualification;
- Applicants seeking admission to a doctoral degree program should have obtained a bachelor’s degree with a proven record of outstanding performance from a recognized institution; or presented evidence of satisfactory work at the postgraduate level on a full-time basis for at least one year, or on a part-time basis for at least two years.
2. English Language Admission Requirements
Applicants have to fulfill English Language requirements with one of the following proficiency attainments:
- TOEFL-iBT: 80*
- TOEFL-pBT: 550
- TOEFL-Revised paper-delivered test: 60 (total scores for Reading, Listening and Writing sections)
- IELTS (Academic Module): Overall score: 6.5 and All sub-score: 5.5
* refers to the total score in one single attempt
Applicants are not required to present TOEFL or IELTS score if
- their first language is English, or
- they obtained the bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) from an institution where the medium of instruction was English.