Applications are invited for a 4-year PhD fellowship, which will be conducted at the Department of Internal Medicine and Pediatrics, Ghent University Hospital, Belgium.
The research activity is part of Sleep Revolution (SR), a project funded by the EU commission in the framework of Horizon 2020. SR aims to develop new diagnostic tools and machine learning techniques to better estimate disease severity and treatment needs of patients with sleep disorders. The goal is to improve health outcomes and quality of life in these patients. SR encompasses a consortium of 37 partners. The particular task of our research team is to construct a new patient-reported outcome measure (PROM), namely a comprehensive European Sleep Questionnaire. Principal investigators on the project are Dirk Pevernagie, Katrien Hertegonne and Fré Bauters. The project is endorsed by and will performed in close cooperation with Geert Crombez of the Department of Experimental-Clinical and Health Psychology at Ghent University and Dimitri Van Ryckeghem, visiting professor at the same department.
We are looking for an enthusiastic and collaborative candidate who will be dedicated to support the conception and development of the new PROM. We offer a 4-year PhD training in an international scientific ecosystem. You will be registered in a Doctoral Schools program and will be able to attend the associated courses. You will have access to state-of-the-art research facilities and will be guided on a daily basis by well-trained professionals and get a thorough training in scientific thinking, practice, presentation and writing. The candidate will be encouraged and guided to apply for a personal fellowship. The default start date is October 1, 2021, but there is some flexibility.
- You have a relevant background for the research topic and your master degree can be within medicine, the health sciences, or the behavioural and social sciences.
- You are willing to learn and adopt a variety of techniques related to the development of a questionnaire and assessment of its psychometric characteristics.
- You have excellent oral and written communication skills and have a good knowledge of English.
- You are willing to visit research centers affiliated with the SR project in other European countries
- You aim for perfection and are practically skillful.
- You are ambitious, inventive and have a long-term vision.
- You are willing and capable to work as a team member.
How to apply
Applications including a CV, motivation letter and a copy of your study results should be sent electronically to Dirk.Pevernagie@ugent.be and Katrien.Hertegonne@ugent.be .
Preselected candidates will be invited for a (virtual) interview.
The starting date will be determined in agreement with the candidate.