Are you fascinated by the effect of turbulence on wind energy production? Are you highly motivated to do a PhD in a dynamic research environment? We are looking for a PhD student to study flow dynamics in wind farms using state-of-the-art computer simulations!
Advancements in wind turbine technology have resulted in growing use of wind energy to reduce carbon emissions. Modern wind turbines and wind farms are becoming so large that their performance is affected by atmospheric turbulence flow phenomena that are not yet well explored. In this PhD project, you will develop novel large-eddy simulation techniques to study how atmospheric turbulence and wind-wave interactions affect the power production and structural loading experienced by wind turbines in an offshore environment.
We seek highly motivated early-career researchers with an excellent background in fluid dynamics, mechanical engineering, computational physics, applied physics, or closely related areas! Programming experience (Fortran, C/C, MATLAB, Python) is a plus. Must enjoy working in an internationally oriented environment and contributing to the research of team-members. We welcome strong interpersonal skills and interest in sharing knowledge at conferences and meetings. Proficiency in English is required, both spoken and written.
This position plays a key role in the wind farm project and is embedded in a dynamic research group with colleagues working on similar topics.
- Full-time 4-year PhD position.
- Full status as an employee, including pension and health care benefits. Salary and conditions are in accordance with the collective labor agreement for Dutch universities.
- We provide a stimulating, modern research environment with world-class research facilities, including access to top supercomputers.
- A personal development program within the Twente Graduate School, combined with excellent mentorship
- Gross monthly salary of € 2.395 in the first year, increasing each year up to € 3.061 in the fourth year.
- A holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary and a year-end bonus of 8.3%
- Between 29 and 41 leave days in case of full-time employment.
- The university is situated on a green campus with facilities for sports and other activities.
- Researchers from outside the Netherlands may qualify for a tax-free allowance equal to 30% of their taxable salary (the 30% tax regulation).
INFORMATION AND APPLICATION
Please submit your application via the applicant button, including:
- A cover letter outlining your specific interest, qualifications and motivation to apply for this position.
- A detailed CV.
- Transcripts from your Bachelor and Master degrees.
- Contact information of two scientific staff members (one should be the supervisor of your MSc thesis project) who are willing to provide a recommendation letter at our request.
- An interview and a scientific presentation will be part of the selection procedure.
If you have any questions about the vacancy, please contact Richard Stevens (email@example.com).
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our university. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
TNW Faculty (Faculty of Science & Technology)
Our faculty focuses on three domains, namely Chemistry, Health, and Physics. We are the home base for the research institutes TechMed, MESA+, the Techno Centre for Education and Research (TCO), and the Twente Graduate School (TGS). TNW offers six Bachelor’s and seven Master’s programs in Health Sciences, Nanotechnology, (Applied) Physics, Chemistry, and Technical Medicine. Over 850 colleagues and 2,700 students are active within the faculty of Science & Technology.
University of Twente (UT)
University of Twente (UT) has entered the new decade with an ambitious, new vision, mission and strategy. As ‘the ultimate people-first university of technology’ we are rapidly expanding on our High Tech Human Touch philosophy and the unique role it affords us in society. Everything we do is aimed at maximum impact on people, society and connections through the sustainable utilisation of science and technology. We want to contribute to the development of a fair, digital and sustainable society through our open, inclusive and entrepreneurial attitude. This attitude permeates everything we do and is present in every one of UT’s departments and faculties. Building on our rich legacy in merging technical and social sciences, we focus on five distinguishing research domains: Improving healthcare by personalised technologies; Creating intelligent manufacturing systems; Shaping our world with smart materials; Engineering our digital society; and Engineering for a resilient world.
As an employer, University of Twente offers jobs that matter. We equip you as a staff member to shape new opportunities both for yourself and for our society. With us, you will be part of a leading tech university that is changing our world for the better. We offer an open, inclusive and entrepreneurial climate, in which we encourage you to make healthy choices, for example, with our flexible, customisable conditions.