Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e) is seeking a bright post-doctoral researcher to setup an autonomous materials discovery lab. The goal of the project is to setup a closed-loop formulation discovery lab consisting of robots and characterization equipment that will allow autonomous discovery of new coatings. The project is part of the Groeifonds program “Big Chemistry” and you will work with other PhD students and post-docs on this topic.
The successful candidate should be excited about applying machine learning and automation to chemistry, specifically setting up a workflow based on active learning of new formulations. The research will be part of wider and exciting efforts currently spearheaded within the Synthetic Biology group led by prof.dr. Tom de Greef.
We are accepting applications from enthusiastic and highly talented candidates who are interested in a dynamic, stimulating, and ambitious environment to perform their research. We are looking for candidates that meet the following requirements:
- A PhD in chemical engineering and/or (bio)informatics with a focus on robotic automation of chemical processes.
- Prior experience with machine learning and robotic automation.
- Prior experience with Python.
- A research-oriented attitude with an analytical mindset.
- Ability to independently work within a dynamic team and to foster collaborations.
- Fluent in spoken and written English.
The position will be based at the Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e) in the Netherlands. Doctoral research will be performed within the Synthetic Biology group in the Department of Biomedical Engineering under the supervision of prof. Tom de Greef. Our group is interested in developing emergent technologies based on biology and biological principles such as biological computing devices, DNA-based digital data storage, engineered living materials, engineered cells, and digital chemistry.
Conditions of employment
A meaningful job in a dynamic and ambitious university, in an interdisciplinary setting and within an international network. You will work on a beautiful, green campus within walking distance of the central train station. In addition, we offer you:
- Full-time employment for 2 years.
- Salary in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities, scale 10 (min. €3,877 max. €5,090).
- A year-end bonus of 8.3% and annual vacation pay of 8%.
- High-quality training programs on general skills, didactics and topics related to research and valorization.
- An excellent technical infrastructure, on-campus children’s day care and sports facilities.
- Partially paid parental leave and an allowance for commuting, working from home and internet costs.
- A TU/e Postdoc Association that helps you to build a stronger and broader academic and personal network, and offers tailored support, training and workshops.
A Staff Immigration Team is available for international candidates, as are a tax compensation scheme (the 30% facility) and a compensation for moving expenses.
Information and application
Eindhoven University of Technology is an internationally top-ranking university in the Netherlands that combines scientific curiosity with a hands-on attitude. Our spirit of collaboration translates into an open culture and a top-five position in collaborating with advanced industries. Fundamental knowledge enables us to design solutions for the highly complex problems of today and tomorrow.
We are Eindhoven University of Technology – YouTube
Do you recognize yourself in this profile and would you like to know more? Please contact
Prof.dr. Tom de Greef, Full Professor, t.f.a.d.greef[at]tue.nl[at]tue.nl or +31 40 247 5409.
Additional information on the department you can find here.
For information about terms of employment, click here or contact Sascha Sanchez, HR advisor, s.j.m.g.sanchez.van.oort[at]tue.nl or +31 40 247 7310.
Visit our website for more information about the application process or the conditions of employment.
Are you inspired and would like to know more about working at TU/e? Please visit our career page.
We invite you to submit a complete application using the apply-button. The application should include a:
- Cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position.
- Curriculum vitae, including a list of your publications and the contact information of three references.
- List of five self-selected ‘best publications’.
- PhD thesis.
We look forward to receiving your application and will screen it as soon as possible. The vacancy will remain open until the position is filled.