School of Architecture and Built Environment at KTH
KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm has grown to become one of Europe’s leading technical and engineering universities, as well as a key centre of intellectual talent and innovation. We are Sweden’s largest technical research and learning institution and home to students, researchers and faculty from around the world. Our research and education covers a wide area including natural sciences and all branches of engineering, as well as architecture, industrial management, urban planning, history and philosophy.
Third-cycle subject: Urban and regional studies
We are looking for a doctoral student for a licentiate in urban and regional studies. The work includes working in research projects in the Safety and Security Research Group (STF) with secondary data, GIS and statistical analyses. In the project, we examine crime and fear based on an interaction of factors such as gender, age, physical and psychological ability, socio-economic status or other individual characteristics. The work is carried out in close collaboration with project leader and several other researchers and requires the ability to work independently.
The doctoral position is a licentiate with 20% department duties.
Supervision: The doctoral student will be supervised by: Prof Vania Ceccato.
What we offer
To be admitted to postgraduate education (Chapter 7, 39 § Swedish Higher Education Ordinance), the applicant must have basic eligibility in accordance with either of the following:
- passed a degree at advanced level,
- completed course requirements of at least 240 higher education credits, of which at least 60 higher education credits at advanced level, or
- acquired, in some other way within or outside the country, substantially equivalent knowledge
In addition to the above, there is also a mandatory requirement for English equivalent to English B/6, read more here
In order to succeed as a doctoral student at KTH you need to be goal oriented and persevering in your work. During the selection process, candidates will be assessed upon their ability to:
- Good experience and knowledge of spatial analyzes in GIS
- Experience working with databases in Excel and SPSS
- Documented good knowledge of spoken and written Swedish and English
- Independently pursue his or her work
- collaborate with others,
- have a professional approach and
- analyse and work with complex issues.
After the qualification requirements, great emphasis will be placed on personal competency.
Target degree: Licentiate degree
Information regarding admission and employment
Only those admitted to postgraduate education may be employed as a doctoral student. The total length of employment may not be longer than what corresponds to full-time doctoral education in four years ‘ time. An employed doctoral student can, to a limited extent (maximum 20%), perform certain tasks within their role, e.g. training and administration. A new position as a doctoral student is for a maximum of one year, and then the employment may be renewed for a maximum of two years at a time.
You will find contact information for union representatives on KTH’s website.
Doctoral section (Students’ union on KTH Royal Institute of Technology)
You will find contact information for doctoral section on the section’s website.
Apply for the position and admission through KTH’s recruitment system. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that the application is complete in accordance with the instructions in the advertisement.
Applications must be received at the last closing date at midnight, CET/CEST (Central European Time/entral European Summer Time).
Applications must include the following elements:
- CV including your relevant professional experience and knowledge.
- Application letter with a brief description of why you want to pursue research studies, about what your academic interests are and how they relate to your previous studies and future goals. (Maximum 2 pages long)
- Copies of diplomas and grades from previous university studies and certificates of fulfilled language requirements (see above). Translations into English or Swedish if the original document is not issued in one of these languages.
- Representative publications or technical reports. For longer documents, please provide a summary (abstract) and a web link to the full text.
Striving towards gender equality, diversity and equal conditions is both a question of quality for KTH and a given part of our values.
For information about processing of personal data in the recruitment process please read here.