UiB – Knowledge that shapes society
Through robust and close interaction with the world around us – globally, nationally and locally – we shall be instrumental in building a society based on knowledge, skills and attitudes.
Do you want to take part in shaping the future?
At the Department of Philosophy there are two PhD fellowships vacant in Philosophy. The preferred starting date for the fellowships is 1 January 2022. The positions are for a fixed-term period of 4 years.
The Department of Philosophy has an academic staff of around 50, an administrative staff of 6, and around 10 PhD- and postdoctoral fellows. The department offers bachelor’s degrees in Philosophy and Rhetoric, and master’s and PhD-degrees in Philosophy. Research at the department spans a wide area. An overview of the research groups at the department can be found here: Research groups.
Qualifications and personal qualities:
- The applicant must hold a Norwegian master’s degree or the equivalent in Philosophy. It is a condition of employment that the master’s degree has been awarded at the time of application. Applicants who do not have a Norwegian master’s degree will be evaluated according to the regulations of the Norwegian Agency for Quality Assurance in Education (NOKUT). The Department can send documentation of foreign education to NOKUT in order to evaluate whether this degree is equivalent to a Norwegian master’s degree.
- The applicant must be able to work independently in a well-structured way and have good cooperation skills.
- The applicant must be proficient in both written and oral English.
- Competence in Norwegian is an advantage.
Applicants must have contacted a supervisor permanently employed at the Department of Philosophy, and the application must include a confirmation from this supervisor. In case of questions, contact Head of Department, Steinar Bøyum, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or phone +47 55 58 25 51.
In assessing the applications, the main criterion for assessment and appointment of the fellow is the quality of the PhD proposal, but the applicant’s qualification will also be considered. The proposed project must fit within one of the research groups at the Department.
In cases where ranked applicants have approximately equivalent qualifications, strategic considerations, motivation, and the applicant’s personal eligibility will be taken into account.
About the PhD position (applies to university PhD positions):
About the PhD position
The main purpose of the PhD position is to complete a doctoral degree, which qualifies for independent research and for other forms of employment that demand specific competency. The duration of the PhD position is 4 years, of which 25 % of the time comprises obligatory duties associated with teaching, dissemination of results, and administration. A substantial part of this additional year will consist of teaching, tutoring and evaluation work at Examen philosophicum (an introductory 10 credits philosophy course mandatory for all university students), or at other preliminary courses at the Faculty of Humanities. The plan for this part of the position is developed in collaboration with the Department at the very beginning of the employment period.
Applicants who have already held a PhD position at the University of Bergen, are not eligible for employment.
The employment period may be reduced if the selected candidate previously has been employed in a recruitment position.
The PhD position demands that the applicant has his or her regular workplace at the University of Bergen and comply with the guidelines that apply to the position at all times.
About the research training
The PhD candidate must participate in an approved educational programme for a PhD degree within a period of 3 years. It is a condition that the applicant satisfy the enrolment requirements for the PhD program at the University of Bergen.
- A good and professionally stimulating working environment.
- Salary at pay grade 54(Code 1017/Pay range 20, alternative 10) in the state salary scale, currently NOK gross 490.800 p.a. following ordinary meriting regulations.
- Enrolment in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
- Employment in an inclusive workplace (IA) enterprise.
- Attractive welfare benefits (e.g. parental leave, subsidized child-care, health care, etc.)
How to apply:
Applications must be sent electronically via the link on this site “APPLY FOR THIS JOB”. The applicant must use the electronic CV-form. The application must include:
- A brief account of the applicant’s research interests and motivation for applying for the position.
- The name and contact information for two referees. One of these must be the main advisor for the master’s thesis or equivalent thesis.
- Transcripts and diplomas showing completion of the bachelor’s and master’s degrees.
- A short summary of the master’s thesis or equivalent thesis (up to 3 pages).
- Relevant certificates/references.
- A summary of the proposed project (up to 5 pages /12.000 characters).
- A progress plan for the PhD project.
- Bibliography for the proposed project.
- A list of any works of a scientific nature (publication list).
- Any scientific work in your name (up to 3).
- A confirmation letter from your main supervisor at the (department).
The application and appendices must be written in Norwegian, another Scandinavian language or English. Documentation in other languages must be followed by certified translations. Appendices must be uploaded within the application deadline as Word- or pdf-files.
Further information about the positions can be obtained by contacting the Head of Department, Steinar Bøyum, e-mail email@example.com or phone +47 55 58 25 51.
The state labour force shall reflect the diversity of Norwegian society to the greatest extent possible. People with immigrant backgrounds and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply for the positions.
The University of Bergen applies the principle of public access to information when recruiting staff for academic positions. Information about applicants may be made public even if the applicant has asked not to be named on the list of persons who have applied. The applicant must be notified if the request to be omitted is not met.
The best qualified candidates for the positions will be invited to an interview.
Questions or queries about the electronic application process can be directed to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Further information about the application here.
Further information about the appointment process here.
Application deadline: 27 August 2021
UiB reference no: 21/8564