Several PhD positions are available at the Integrated Optical Systems group of the University of Twente, associated to the MESA+ Institute for Nanotechnology. The PhD students will become part of a team working on the development of low-loss sputtered materials for Integrated Photonics. In particular, materials for fast modulation, electronic-photonics integration and integrated photonics devices operating in the ultraviolet and mid-infrared will be investigated.
The projects comprise modelling of the devices, the development of the fabrication process in the MESA+ Nanolab cleanroom facility, which has all necessary state-of-the-art microfabrication equipment required to carry out this work, and optical characterization in the facilities of the research group.
The projects will leverage our expertise in the development of sputtered optical materials for integrated photonics consolidating our international position in this field. The projects are carried out in collaboration with industrial partners in the framework of several national Growth Funds initiatives (i.e., Photon Delta and Next Gen High Tech).
- you have a MSc degree in engineering physics, electrical engineering, materials engineering/science or photonics engineering.
- a good background in cleanroom microfabrication, deposition of optical materials and design/simulation of optical devices.
- experimental experience in the optical characterization of integrated optical devices is desirable.
- you can operate in a multidisciplinary multicultural team.
- you have proficient oral and written English language skills, and are capable of scientific communication, also towards non-expert partners.
- excellent soft communication skills at all levels are required.
- female candidates and members of minority groups are equally encouraged to apply as we strive for working in a well-balanced inclusive team.
- we offer a challenging fulltime position in an inspiring multidisciplinary and international environment.
- we offer you a four-year full-time position.
- we provide excellent mentorship in an inspiring research environment, with state-of-the art research facilities.
- professional and personal development programs.
- gross salary ranging from € 2.770,- to € 3.539,- (4th year).
- holiday allowance (8%), end-of-year bonus (8.3%).
- good secondary conditions.
- a green Campus with lots of sports facilities.
- a dynamic ecosystem with enthusiastic colleagues in which internationalization and inclusion are an important part of the strategic agenda.
INFORMATION AND APPLICATION
Your application should include:
- a motivation letter, emphasizing your specific interest and motivation.
- a detailed CV.
- one reference from your former supervisor with contact details.
- an academic transcript of BSc. and MSc. education.
An interview and a scientific presentation will be a part of the selection procedure. Please apply before December 31, 2023, via the provided button.
For detailed questions aboout the vacancy, please contact Prof. dr. Sonia M. Garcia-Blanco (firstname.lastname@example.org).