About the position
The Yaksi Group is looking for highly motivated people who are interested in joining our team at Kavli Institute for Systems Neuroscience at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU). We offer an international and multidisciplinary environment in which creativity and scientific dialogue across fields is valued and stimulated.
The Yaksi Group consists of an international team of enthusiastic biologists, physicists, medical doctors and engineers. The overarching goal of our team is to understand how widely dispersed brain regions dynamically interact and how these interactions modulate the way animals process sensory information and make behavioral choices. The successful candidate will study the relationship between animals’ behavioral states encoded by the ongoing brain activity and alterations in sensory information processing in the ancestral cortico-limbic structures of zebrafish brain. We are also interested in understanding the alterations of these circuits during learning and memory formation. To achieve this, successful candidates will use a combination of optical, electrophysiological, opto-genetic, behavioral, mathematical and engineering tools.
Duties of the position
We are looking for PhD students and/or post-doctoral fellows, who has expertise in functional brain imaging, electrophysiology and the use of computational tools to analyze brain activity and animal behavior. We are especially interested in people with high motivation in applying their training in neuroscience, maths, physics or engineering in a multi-disciplinary lab.
Required selection criteria
- Your education must correspond to a five-year Norwegian degree programme, where 120 credits are obtained at master’s level
- You must have a strong academic background from your previous studies and an average grade from the master’s degree program, or equivalent education, which is equal to B or better compared with NTNU’s grading scale. If you do not have letter grades from previous studies, you must have an equally good academic basis. If you have a weaker grade background, you may be assessed if you can document that you are particularly suitable for a PhD education.
- You must meet the requirements for admission to the faculty’s doctoral program (for post doctors)
- PhD or Msc in a relevant field, e.g. neuroscience, physics, mathematics, biology, engineering
- High motivation for explorative and multi-disciplinary science
- Experience in functional brain imaging, optical tools, image and/or signal processing, electrophysiology and programming (e.g. MATLAB, Phyton, C)
- Proven track record with high quality publications for further inquiries please send your: CV + Name of 3 references, Statement of skills and research interest, List of publications
- Please prepare a 1-2 page proposal, describing the research project that you wish to do in our lab, how you would extend beyond our present published work and how you would apply your skills to achieve this project.
The appointment is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants and Regulations concerning the degrees of Philosophiae Doctor (PhD) and Philosodophiae Doctor (PhD) in artistic research national guidelines for appointment as PhD, post doctor and research assistant
If you are curious, passionate, motivated, creative and a team player, you will be both happy and productive in our laboratory.
Salary and conditions
PhD candidates are remunerated in code 1017, and are normally remunerated at gross from NOK 491 200 per annum before tax, depending on qualifications and seniority. From the salary, 2% is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
The period of employment is 2-3 years depending on the candidate
Appointment to a PhD position requires that you are admitted to the PhD programme within three months of employment, and that you participate in an organized PhD programme during the employment period.
Postdoctoral candidates are placed in code 1352, and are normally remunerated at gross from NOK 545 300 per annum before tax, depending on qualifications and seniority. From the salary, 2% is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants, and the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. Candidates who by assessment of the application and attachment are seen to conflict with the criteria in the latter law will be prohibited from recruitment to NTNU. After the appointment you must assume that there may be changes in the area of work.
The position is subject to external funding
It is a prerequisite you can be present at and accessible to the institution daily.
About the application
The application and supporting documentation to be used as the basis for the assessment must be in English
Publications and other scientific work must follow the application. Please note that applications are only evaluated based on the information available on the application deadline. You should ensure that your application shows clearly how your skills and experience meet the criteria which are set out above.
The application should include:
- CV, certificates and diplomas
- transcripts and diplomas for bachelor’s and master’s degrees. If you have not completed the master’s degree, you must submit a confirmation that the master’s thesis has been submitted.
- A copy of the master’s thesis. If you recently have submitted your master’s thesis, you can attach a draft of the thesis. Documentation of a completed master’s degree must be presented before taking up the position.
- Project proposal
- Research plan
- Name and address of three referees
- If you have publications or other relevant research work
If all, or parts, of your education has been taken abroad, we also ask you to attach documentation of the scope and quality of your entire education, both bachelor’s and master’s education, in addition to other higher education. Description of the documentation required can be found here. If you already have a statement from NOKUT, please attach this as well.
Joint works will be considered. If it is difficult to identify your contribution to joint works, you must attach a brief description of your participation.
In the evaluation of which candidate is best qualified, emphasis will be placed on education, experience and personal and interpersonal qualities. Motivation, ambitions, and potential will also count in the assessment of the candidates.
NTNU is committed to following evaluation criteria for research quality according to The San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment – DORA.
Working at NTNU
A good work environment is characterized by diversity. We encourage qualified candidates to apply, regardless of their gender, functional capacity or cultural background.
The city of Trondheim is a modern European city with a rich cultural scene. Trondheim is the innovation capital of Norway with a population of 200,000. The Norwegian welfare state, including healthcare, schools, kindergartens and overall equality, is probably the best of its kind in the world. Professional subsidized day-care for children is easily available. Furthermore, Trondheim offers great opportunities for education (including international schools) and possibilities to enjoy nature, culture and family life and has low crime rates and clean air quality.
As an employee at NTNU, you must at all times adhere to the changes that the development in the subject entails and the organizational changes that are adopted.
In accordance with The Public Information Act (Offentleglova), your name, age, position and municipality may be made public even if you have requested not to have your name entered on the list of applicants.
If you have any questions about the position, please contact Emre Yaksi, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions about the recruitment process, please contact Ole Kristian Indergård, e-mail: email@example.com
Please submit your application electronically via jobbnorge.no with your CV, diplomas and certificates. Applications submitted elsewhere will not be considered. Diploma Supplement is required to attach for European Master Diplomas outside Norway. Chinese applicants are required to provide confirmation of Master Diploma from China Credentials Verification (CHSI).
If you are invited for interview you must include certified copies of transcripts and reference letters.
Application deadline: 01.09.2021