The Centre of Dental Medicine at the University of Zurich is one of four dental university centers in Switzerland. It has approximately 400 employees and comprises six clinics, an institute, and a central administration department. The centre is highly ranked and promotes research at the highest level.
The selected PhD candidates will conduct his/her research mainly in our laboratory (Head: Dr. L. Ramenzoni, PhD) on the project entitled: “In vitro analysis of biomaterials on human osteoblast cell response for bone tissue regeneration”. Molecular cell biology and imaging techniques will be used. The research project is run by the University of Zurich in collaboration with the University of Tampere (Finland, Prof. T. Peltomäki) and Omya International AG (Oftringen, Switzerland) as the industry partner.
Background and project summary:
Acquired or inherited alveolar bone defects can be regenerated with the use of a wide variety of biomaterials. The planned study aims to systematically analyse the biological behaviour of new bio-activated microparticles as a delivery system for bone regeneration. The study includes material characterization and cell research mainly using alveolar osteoblast cells.
- Design, conduct, and troubleshoot experiments
- Observe and make measurements on cells and ensure reproducibility of cell culture
- Perform analysis of proliferation, migration and cytokine expression of cells in culture
- Collect, analyse, interpret and make projections from data
- Utilize statistical tests in data analysis
- Write scientific interim reports and manuscripts for peer reviewed scientific papers leading to a PhD thesis
- Have a degree in dentistry, biology, chemistry or other biologically related field
- Have strong interest in cell molecular biology
- Hands-on basic experience in molecular cell biology techniques preferable
- Have very good command of English (written and oral)
- Be highly motivated, responsible, independent and have well-organized working style
What we offer
- The opportunity to participate in an interdisciplinary project between the Centre of Dental Medicine, University of Zurich and the University of Tampere as well as Omya International AG.
- Contribute to scientific publications
- Training in several molecular/cell biology and imaging techniques and thorough supervision
- International research team and strong national and international collaborators
- Excellent laboratory infrastructures
- Salary according to SNF regulations
- Employment for 3 years
Place of work
Center of Dental Medicine
Division of Periodontology and Peri-implant Diseases
Start of employment
Employment start date 1st August 2021 or to be mutually agreed.
Applicants should submit a detailed curriculum vitae, a cover letter including a description of their motivation and research background, and two (2) reference letters. Please send your application to email@example.com by 31. July 2021.