This research position is opened within the ProPoLiS research group at the KU Leuven Faculty of Engineering Technology campus Bruges. The group is led by Prof. F. Desplentere, consists of 20 people of which 10 Phd students and is one of the divisions of the Composite Materials Group in the Materials science department. The ProPoLiS group focuses on polymer processing methods such as injection moulding, extrusion and thermoforming. In their activities, the group combines experimental tests with numerical simulations. Up to date equipment is available for both the material characterisation and the validation experiments. This vacancy fits within the collaboration of the research group and software developpers. Within this collaboration, one wants to bring the modelling accuracy for challenging processes (thermoforming) to a next level. The research group is well know for its extensive collaboration with both SME and large companies as well national as internationally.
This position is opened within the ProPoLIS research group within a funded research project focussing on the thermomechanical modelling of the different steps of the thermoforming proces. Within this position, it is important to combine the most important material characterization for thermoplastic materials with appropriate numerical simulations to be validated on instrumented industrial equipment (thermoforming). You will be providing experimental insights to software developpers and afterwards, you will be validating the newly generated code. All this research can be performed on up to date equipment which is available within the lab’s of KU Leuven Bruges campus.
• You have a master degree or Phd in engineering technology or engineering sciences(plastics processing, mechanics, materials science, chemistry)
• Knowledge of polymer processing (thermoforming) is appreciated
• Experience in numerical simulations for mechanical performance and/or polymer processing (Injection moulding / extrusion/ thermoforming) is welcome
• You are familiar with material characterization for thermoplastic materials or are prepared to develop a solid expertise in it.
• It has no sense to apply for this position if your profile does not match the above mentioned points
• You are willing to take on supporting (educational) tasks on campus
• You are able to work independently, pay attention to accuracy and experiment with new concepts in a creative way.
• Hands-on attitude and flexible team player
• You have communication skills to report results, both internally within KU Leuven and on international forums.
We offer you a fulltime position in an inspiring, dynamic and flexible environment with an attractive salary. The position is for 2 years (postdoc), with an evaluation after 1 year (contracts = 1 year + 1years). In case you perform a phd, the contract is renewed annually after a positive evaluation (typically in total 4 years)
For more information please contact Prof. dr. ir. Frederik Desplentere, tel.: +32 50 66 48 56, mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or Mr. Bart Buffel, tel.: +32 50 66 48 58, mail: email@example.com.You can apply for this job no later than June 30, 2021 via the online application toolKU Leuven seeks to foster an environment where all talents can flourish, regardless of gender, age, cultural background, nationality or impairments. If you have any questions relating to accessibility or support, please contact us at diversiteit.HR@kuleuven.be.