The University of Helsinki is an international scientific community of 40,000 students and researchers. It is one of the leading multidisciplinary research universities in Europe and ranks among the top 100 international universities in the world. We are an equal opportunity employer and offer an attractive and diverse workplace in an inspiring environment with a variety of development opportunities and benefits.
The Faculty of Pharmacy:
• ranked #46 in the world in the ShanghaiRanking’s Global Ranking of Academic Subjects 2020
• is located on Viikki Campus in Helsinki and provides good access to local and national research infrastructures including biobanks
• has about 200 employees, out of which 15 professors
• has about 800 undergraduate and 160 postgraduate students with well-organized doctoral school programs
The Faculty of Pharmacy, Division of Pharmacology and Pharmacotherapy, invites applications for the position of a
The appointment is for about 2 years (funding for a possible extension will be applied during the 2-year period). The preferred starting date is tentatively 1 September 2021, but negotiable. The position will be filled with 6 months probationary period.
The appointment is at the Clinical Pharmacy Group, Division of Pharmacology and Pharmacotherapy, Faculty of Pharmacy. The appointment is also associated with the context of the Helsinki One Health research network. The research of the doctoral student focuses on medication safety and effectiveness, and aims to develop prospective medication safety risk management methods to healthcare services system to reduce medication related risks and patient harm.
We are looking for an applicant with
• MSc degree in pharmacy, or other relevant field
• good written and verbal communication skills (in English)
• strong problem-solving skills and unprejudiced approach
• ability to work both independently and as part of a research team
Previous experience on one or more of the following fields is considered a significant merit: medication safety and effectiveness research methods, such as (but not limited to) intervention/outcomes research methods, register base research methods, or implementation research methods; quantitative statistical data analysis methodologies, and/or qualitative data analysis methodologies. Also previous experience or knowledge of health systems and services is considered a merit.
The duties of the doctoral student include conducting research in the project framework with the aim of achieving doctoral degree in accordance with the degree requirements of the University of Helsinki. The appointee will also participate in the supervision of undergraduate students, and in other discipline-specific teaching in medication safety and effectiveness research. The teaching duties will cover 5 % of the total working hours.
Right to pursue a doctoral degree
The appointee must obtain the right to pursue a doctoral degree at the Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Helsinki and approval by a suitable doctoral programme by the end of the 6 month probationary period of the employment. Suitable doctoral programme is Drug Research (DPDR). The research plan and other application material will be prepared together with the PhD supervisor(s) in the beginning of the employment period.
Salary and benefits
The salary is based on the job requirement scheme for teaching and research staff according to the salary system of the Finnish universities. In addition, the appointee will be paid a salary component based on personal work performance. Doctoral students start from level 2. In total, the starting gross salary of a doctoral student is typically about 2200-2400 EUR per month.
The requirement level of a doctoral student is determined on the basis of progressing in the studies. Doctoral students advance to level 3, when they are in the midpoint of completing the work required for the doctoral degree, and eventually to level 4, when the supervisor estimates that the student can publicly defend the dissertation in approximately one year.
Occupational health care is provided for university employees. Read more about the employee benefits at the University of Helsinki and why the University of Helsinki is an excellent career choice: https://www.helsinki.fi/en/about-us/careers.
Application to the position
Please submit your application, together with the required attachments as a single pdf file, through the University of Helsinki Recruitment System via the button Apply for the position. Applicants who are employees of the University of Helsinki should submit their application via the SAP HR portal. You may fill in only the mandatory fields (*) in the Recruitment System.
The application should include
• a motivation letter (max 1 page) with the following information: future career plans and vision of own growth as an academic researcher, what topic areas specifically interest the applicant in the field of medication safety and effectiveness research, motivation to apply to the position, other merits, interests or relevant information to be considered.
• a complete CV with full contact details, education/previous degrees obtained, prior work/research experience, and list of possible publications and theses with links to their online versions (if available)
• copy/copies of the diploma(s) of previous degree(s)
• recommendation letter(s) and contact information of one or more previous supervisors employers, or other references
The above mentioned attachments must be submitted as a single pdf file and they can be in Finnish or in English.
The closing date for applications is Thursday, May 20, 2021 (23:59 EET). Both Finnish and international applicants are encouraged to apply.
• About the project and position: Assistant professor Anna-Riia Holmström: anna-riia.holmstrom(at)helsinki.fi
• About applying and/or technical support: HR Specialist Heidi Kauppinen, heidi.m.kauppinen(at)helsinki.fi, +358504155341
• About the other activities of the research group: https://www.helsinki.fi/en/researchgroups/clinical-pharmacy
• About the Faculty of Pharmacy: https://www.helsinki.fi/en/faculty-of-pharmacy
• Support for international applicants: https://www.helsinki.fi/en/about-us/careers/welcome
• Application process to doctoral education (including demonstration of language proficiency): https://www.helsinki.fi/en/admissions-and-education/apply-doctoral-progr…
• About doctoral schools and programmes: https://www.helsinki.fi/en/admissions-and-education/apply-doctoral-progr…
• DPDR: https://www.helsinki.fi/en/admissions-and-education/apply-doctoral-progr… (admissions five times a year)
20.05.2021 23:59 EEST