The programme is research-oriented with each student being directly supervised by a faculty member.
- Complete all the graduate courses required by the Department.
- When deemed necessary by advisor/supervisor, student may be required to take other courses.
- Each PhD student is required to pass a written candidacy examination within the maximum period of his/her candidacy stage for the advancement to his/her post-candidacy stage.
- Submit thesis proposal and defence.
- Each PhD student is required to submit a thesis and pass the oral defence of the thesis for graduation.
Fields of Specialization
The Department of Marketing’s research focuses on both quantitative and behavioral aspects of marketing, allowing academics and students to gain critical insights and to unlock and solve complex marketing issues. Faculty members have diversified research interests that encompass the following areas:
1. Consumer Behavior
Major focuses include consumer judgment and decision making, information processing, social influence, affect and motivation, sensory marketing, culture, etc.
2. Empirical Modeling
Faculty members use structural, econometric, and machine learning methods to study issues related to social network, word of mouth, consumer search and learning, mobile and online marketing, etc..
3. Analytic Modeling
Faculty members adopt both game theoretical and experimental approaches to study issues such as pricing, competition, channel coordination, consumer search and learning, advertising, retailing and platforms.
Please visit the Division’s homepage for more information.
In addition to the general requirements of the Graduate School, applicants should fulfill the requirements as set by the Faculty of Business Administration. Please refer to the programme’s website for details.
HKPFS Application Deadline
(for PhD programmes only)
- To submit an initial application to RGC: By 12 noon, 1 December 2020 (Hong Kong time); and
- To submit full application to CUHK: By 5 pm, 1 December 2020 (Hong Kong time).
Please refer to HKPFS page for more details.