The objective of the programme is to encourage the advancement of research in Japanese studies by offering graduate training that accommodates a range of academic concerns in the field. The programme will focus on historical and socio-cultural aspects of Japan-China and Japan-Hong Kong relations from such disciplines as anthropology, history, popular culture, linguistic and international relations.
This programme is mainly for candidates who seek to study for a PhD degree as their ultimate goal.
Students are required:
1. To complete 12 units of lecture courses in the pre-candidacy stage
2. To register for thesis research courses each term
3. To pass the candidacy examination
4. To complete the PhD thesis and pass the oral examination
Please visit the Division’s homepage for more information.
In addition to the general requirements of the Graduate School,
- applicants are required to submit a 5-page proposal written in English (including research topic, research summary, previous research regarding the topic, methodology employed and references). Applicants may be required to attend an interview.
- Japanese language proficiency requirements may vary according to the areas of study and the content of the research proposal and is to be decided by the Graduate Panel.
HKPFS Application Deadline
(for PhD programmes only)
- To submit an initial application to RGC: By 12 noon, 1 December 2020 (Hong Kong time); and
- To submit full application to CUHK: By 5 pm, 1 December 2020 (Hong Kong time).
Please refer to HKPFS page for more details.