About the position
PhD candidate within Interdisciplinary cooperation for Sustainability
There is a PhD position available at the Department of Industrial Economics and Technology Management – section Experts in teamwork. The position is resident at NTNUs campus in Trondheim. It is an educational position, which will provide promising research talents the opportunity for professional development towards a PhD-degree. The position is connected to the PhD program at the Faculty of Economics and Management and the faculty will be your employer.
The section Experts in teamwork is a professional environment within interdisciplinary collaboration.
The section’s research covers interdisciplinary collaboration within the areas of sustainability, innovation and entrepreneurship, learning and teaching in higher education, and team. Research in the section Experts in teamwork will contribute to new insights for higher education, for business and for the public sector.
It has the overall professional responsibility for the implementation of the course Experts in teams (EiT), which is compulsory for all students at a higher degree at NTNU. In addition, the section is now in a process of offering training to other teams, including at PhD level.
About the position
The purpose of this position is to develop new knowledge about the role and impact of interdisciplinary cooperation in projects for sustainability. The candidate is to investigate if and how interdisciplinarity in projects leads to increased sustainability. The candidate’s project is to build on an understanding of sustainability where the social and economic development must take place within planetary boundaries. Moreover, NTNU is guided by UNESCOs key competencies for sustainability, and this project will be focused on the competences of interdisciplinary collaboration, system thinking and normative competences.
There are two data sources at NTNU available for this analysis. The first is linked to 9 new interdisciplinary research projects at NTNU starting in 2022. The participants of the 9 projects will be offered training in the competence of interdisciplinary collaboration.
The other and larger data source is the EiT compulsory course at master level. The course’s goal is for students to develop interdisciplinary collaborative skills by reflecting on and learning from specific collaborative situations in the implementation of a project. The projects are largely about how to achieve increased sustainability. With about 3,000 students divided into 600 student teams working within different frameworks (physical, hybrid and fully digital), there are unique opportunities for both quantitative and qualitative research. A survey is conducted every year among all students that can be used as an instrument in research, including data from previous years.
The PhD candidate will be supervised by Associate Professor Heidi Rapp Nilsen with co-supervision by colleagues from the section Experts in teamwork, or at other relevant Departments depending on the profile of the candidate.
The 100% position will be fully funded for 4 years. 25% of the position is dedicated to department duties which may include research assistance or teaching students and educational staff related to the courses offered by the section Experts in teamwork.
The PhD-position’s main objective is to qualify for work in research positions. The qualification requirement is that you have completed a master’s degree or second degree (equivalent to 120 credits) with a strong academic background in the fields specified below, or equivalent education with a grade of B or better in terms of NTNU’s grading scale. Candidates who will complete their master’s degree in the spring semester of 2022 may also apply. If you do not have letter grades from previous studies, you must have an equally good academic foundation. If you are unable to meet these criteria you may be considered only if you can document that you are particularly suitable for education leading to a PhD degree.
The appointment is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants and national guidelines for appointment as PhD, post doctor and research assistant.
Required selection criteria
- A master’s degree in Industrial Economics and Technology Management, Sustainability sciences, or a related field relevant for the theme of this position. Candidates who will complete their master’s degree in the spring semester of 2022 may also apply.
- Documented theoretical and practical understanding of one or more of the topics mentioned in this announcement.
- Excellent communication skills in English, both written and spoken.
Preferred selection criteria
- Knowledge of both qualitative and quantitative research methods
- Experience with sustainability research
- Experience with interdisciplinary cooperation as a research theme
- Communication skills in Norwegian, both written and spoken
- A relevant existing national or international professional network
We are searching for candidates who are
- Result oriented
- Enjoy working independently as well as cooperate in interdisciplinary teams
- Able to network professionally and disseminate research
- Able to communicate information and results with clarity and ease, both orally and in writing.
- An opportunity to analyze 9 new interdisciplinary research projects for sustainability at NTNU
- Access to data from 3500 master students at NTNU working interdisciplinary for sustainability
- An opportunity to become an expert in a topic of high importance for realising Sustainable Development Goals
- An existing international network of relevant scientists, innovators, and entrepreneurs
- An open and inclusive interdisciplinary work environment with dedicated colleagues
- Favourable terms in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- Employee benefits