Innovation, Policy and Entrepreneurship is an emerging interdisciplinary area that has become increasingly important in recent years in addressing global challenges in governance and provision of private and public goods and services. It focuses on linkages among innovation, entrepreneurship, and public policy in development of human society. The Master of Philosophy (MPhil) and Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) Programs in Innovation, Policy and Entrepreneurship are interdisciplinary programs that prepare the next generation of leaders in solving problems at the interface of technology and society through innovation in technology, institution, policy, entrepreneurship, and business model.
The PhD Program seeks to train students in original research with cross-disciplinary approach to innovation, policy and entrepreneurship, and to cultivate independent and innovative thinking for knowledge creation in policy, innovation and entrepreneurship. A PhD graduate is expected to demonstrate mastery of knowledge in the chosen area of research and to synthesize and create new knowledge, making an original and substantial contribution to the cross-disciplinary area.
On successful completion of the PhD program, graduates will be able to:
- Identify issues concerning technology of the future and create an environment conducive to its creation, dissemination, and management;
- Identify and synthesize current research and conduct high-quality IPE research in academia and/or industry;
- Compare and contrast state-of-the-art knowledge in innovation studies, public policy, and entrepreneurship, and apply such knowledge on IPE practice;
- Analyze issues, design, and execute IPE research by utilizing sound research methodologies; and
- Present developed IPE knowledge and research to academic and practitioners’ communities.
To qualify for admission, applicants must meet all of the following requirements. Admission is selective and meeting these minimum requirements does not guarantee admission.1. General Admission Requirements of the University
- Applicants seeking admission to a master’s degree program should have obtained a bachelor’s degree from a recognized institution, or an approved equivalent qualification;
- Applicants seeking admission to a doctoral degree program should have obtained a bachelor’s degree with a proven record of outstanding performance from a recognized institution; or presented evidence of satisfactory work at the postgraduate level on a full-time basis for at least one year, or on a part-time basis for at least two years.
2. English Language Admission Requirements
Applicants have to fulfill English Language requirements with one of the following proficiency attainments:
- TOEFL-iBT: 80*
- TOEFL-pBT: 550
- TOEFL-Revised paper-delivered test: 60 (total scores for Reading, Listening and Writing sections)
- IELTS (Academic Module): Overall score: 6.5 and All sub-score: 5.5
* refers to the total score in one single attempt
Applicants are not required to present TOEFL or IELTS score if
- their first language is English, or
- they obtained the bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) from an institution where the medium of instruction was English.