The Division of Information Engineering seeks outstanding research students aspiring to make high impact innovations and fundamental discoveries in information engineering. Our professors are world-class researchers. Our laboratories are well-equipped. Our courses cover the forefronts of information engineering. Students explore various topics in the areas of communications, networking, information processing, and security. We provide an environment conducive to original theoretical, experimental, and application research in information engineering.
Graduation requirements for a PhD student include 1) completion of a substantial research project with original publishable findings leading to a thesis, 2) passing of a candidacy examination, and 3) completion of a minimum of seven graduate courses approved by the Division.
Fields of Specialization
- Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Big Data, and Multimedia Processing
- Communications and Information Theory
- Cryptography, Security and Privacy
- Networking Theory, Internet and Applications
- Optical Communications and Networking
- Wireless Communications and Networking
Please visit the Division homepage for more information.
In addition to the general requirements of the Graduate School, all applicants must submit a research proposal, a resume with publication list and research projects. In addition, an interview may be conducted.
HKPFS Application Deadline
(for PhD programmes only)
- To submit an initial application to RGC: By 12 noon, 1 December 2020 (Hong Kong time); and.
- To submit full application to CUHK: By 5 pm, 1 December 2020 (Hong Kong time).
Please refer to HKPFS page for more details.