About the position
We have a vacancy for a three-year (100%) PhD position at the Department of clinical and Molecular Medicine (IKOM), Research Unit Gastroenterology and Inflammation.
IKOM is part of the Faculty of Medicine and Health Science at NTNU – Norwegian University of Science and Technology. The department carries out basic, clinical and translational research in a broad medical field.
The PhD position will be part of the Clinical Academic Group (CAG) – Precision medicine in IBD, a major Health authority and University supported initiative that unites physicians in the region and experienced IBD researchers into one joint group for patient-focused translational research.
The CAG-IBD is headed by the well-established St.Olav`s/NTNU-IBD Research Group.
IBD (ulcerative colites and Crohn’s disease) are lifelong ailments where sections of the digestive system become inflamed. Our main goal is to develop precision medicine for IBD by explaining disease heterogeneity through improved molecular and pathobiological understanding, leading to more precise and optimized therapeutic strategies for IBD patient subgroups. A major task in the CAG-IBD is the development of IBDSelect, a uniquely characterized and focused longitudinal IBD biobank with biological material and clinical information collected after the same protocol at all sites. The laboratory parts are organized in three main research disciplines (Units I-III) with exchange of data and observations between projects:
Unit I focuses on molecular cell biology and uses patient-derived model systems to elucidate the underlying processes that control clinical diversity.
Unit II explores and develop histological indexing and molecular pathology as a tool for pathologists to predict prognosis and treatment response.
Unit III analyses patient samples using genetics and multi-omics approaches and interpret the results in light of clinical data and results from e.g., experiments in organoids.
The candidate will be working on research task within the CAG-IBD, with emphasis on disease modelling in patient-derived model systems (Unit I).
Duties of the position
- Experimental design and laboratory work
- Write scientific papers and a PhD thesis
The work will mainly be carried out at the laboratories of Department of Clinical and Molecular Medicine (IKOM), NTNU, which has all necessary resources and infrastructure. Research visit/exchange with collaborating research partners may be applicable.
Required selection criteria
- You must have a Master of science (or equivalent) within medicine or natural science
- Your education must correspond to a five-year Norwegian degree programme, where 120 credits are obtained at master’s level
- You must have a strong academic background from your previous studies and an average grade from the master’s degree program, or equivalent education, which is equal to B or better compared with NTNU’s grading scale. If you do not have letter grades from previous studies, you must have an equally good academic basis. If you have a weaker grade background, you may be assessed if you can document that you are particularly suitable for a PhD education.
- You must meet the requirements for admission to the faculty’s doctoral program
- Expertise in molecular and cell biology
- Strong skills in molecular- and cell-biology laboratory techniqes
- Proficiency in oral and written English
The appointment is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants and Regulations concerning the degrees of Philosophiae Doctor (PhD) and Philosodophiae Doctor (PhD) in artistic research national guidelines for appointment as PhD, post doctor and research assistant
Preferred selection criteria
- Experience with cell culture systems, preferentially 3D organoid technology
- Experience with computer based analytic tools/bioinformatics
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- An interest in translational inflammation research
Salary and conditions
PhD candidates are remunerated in code 1017, and are normally remunerated at gross from NOK 482 200 per annum before tax, depending on qualifications and seniority. From the salary, 2% is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
The period of employment is 3 years.
Appointment to a PhD position requires that you are admitted to the PhD programme in medicine within three months of employment, and that you participate in an organized PhD programme during the employment period.
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants, and the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. Candidates who by assessment of the application and attachment are seen to conflict with the criteria in the latter law will be prohibited from recruitment to NTNU. After the appointment you must assume that there may be changes in the area of work.
The position is subject to external funding.
It is a prerequisite you can be present at and accessible to the institution daily.
About the application
The application and supporting documentation to be used as the basis for the assessment must be in English.
Publications and other scientific work must follow the application. Please note that applications are only evaluated based on the information available on the application deadline. You should ensure that your application shows clearly how your skills and experience meet the criteria which are set out above.
The application must include:
- Application letter describing the candidate`s skills, personal qualifications and motivation for the position and project
- CV, certificates and diplomas
- Transcripts and diplomas for bachelor’s and master’s degrees. If you have not completed the master’s degree, you must submit a confirmation that the master’s thesis has been submitted.
- Summary of the Msc (or equivalent) work (1 page maximum). Documentation of a completed master’s degree must be presented before taking up the position.
- Short statement from a former supervisor/tutor/teacher
- Name and address of two referees
- If you have publications or other relevant research work
If all, or parts, of your education has been taken abroad, we also ask you to attach documentation of the scope and quality of your entire education, both bachelor’s and master’s education, in addition to other higher education. Description of the documentation required can be found here. If you already have a statement from NOKUT, please attach this as well.
Joint works will be considered. If it is difficult to identify your contribution to joint works, you must attach a brief description of your participation.
In the evaluation of which candidate is best qualified, emphasis will be placed on education, experience and personal and interpersonal qualities. Motivation, ambitions, and potential will also count in the assessment of the candidates.
NTNU is committed to following evaluation criteria for research quality according to The San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment – DORA.
Working at NTNU
A good work environment is characterized by diversity. We encourage qualified candidates to apply, regardless of their gender, functional capacity or cultural background.
The city of Trondheim is a modern European city with a rich cultural scene. Trondheim is the innovation capital of Norway with a population of 200,000. The Norwegian welfare state, including healthcare, schools, kindergartens and overall equality, is probably the best of its kind in the world. Professional subsidized day-care for children is easily available. Furthermore, Trondheim offers great opportunities for education (including international schools) and possibilities to enjoy nature, culture and family life and has low crime rates and clean air quality.
As an employee at NTNU, you must at all times adhere to the changes that the development in the subject entails and the organizational changes that are adopted.
In accordance with The Public Information Act (Offentleglova), your name, age, position and municipality may be made public even if you have requested not to have your name entered on the list of applicants.
If you have any questions about the position, please contact Researcher Torunn Bruland, telephone +47 92208953, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or Associate Professor Ingunn Bakke, telephone: +47 98485755, e-mail: email@example.com. If you have any questions about the recruitment process, please contact HR-consultant Elisabeth Myrvang, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please submit your application electronically via jobbnorge.no with your CV, diplomas and certificates. Applications submitted elsewhere will not be considered. Diploma Supplement is required to attach for European Master Diplomas outside Norway. Chinese applicants are required to provide confirmation of Master Diploma from China Credentials Verification (CHSI).
Application deadline: 22.06.21