About the position
A three-year PhD position is available in the Department of Energy and Process Engineering (EPT), Faculty of Engineering Science, Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU).
The position is a part of the project “Next generation Biogas production through the Synergetic Integration of Gasification – BIOSYNGAS” (project number: 319723 – KSPKOMPETANSE20) funded by the Research Council of Norway.
The project is a collaboration between SINTEF Energy Research, Norwegian Institute of Bioeconomy Research – NIBIO, Norwegian University of Science and Technology – NTNU, Norwegian University of Life Sciences – NMBU, and Zhejiang University of Technology – ZJU, which is coordinated by SINTEF Energy Research and co-financed by Oslo Municipality (through Renovasjons- og gjenvinningsetaten – REG), Bergen Municipality, Fredrikstad Municipality (through Fredrikstad Vann, Avløp og Renovasjonsforetak – Frevar KF), LINDUM AS, Hadeland og Ringerike Avfallsselskap-HRA, Vestfjorden Avløpsselskap-VEAS, and Antec Biogas AS.
The primary objective of the BIOSYNGAS project is to improve the energy and environmental performance of biogas production by integrating with hydrothermal treatments (hydrolysis followed by gasification) of the digestate.
For a position as a PhD Candidate, the goal is a completed doctoral education up to an obtained doctoral degree.
The position is placed at the Department of Energy and Process Engineering, NTNU in Trondheim, administered by Professor Terese Løvås. The position will start in January 2022 and report directly to the supervising Professor Quang Khanh Tran.
Duties of the position
lThis PhD position involves thermodynamic equilibrium modeling and experimental activity related to hydrothermal gasification of digestate residue from biogas production. Effects of pressure, temperature, residence time, catalyst, and solid/water ratio on products’ distribution will be investigated. Emphasis will be given to the distribution of nutrients (P, N, K) and carbon in the liquid and solid phases and to their chemical composition. This will help assessing the availability of these elements as a nutrient source for soil enhancement. Another important parameter to study is the carbon distribution between the different phases which should give indication on the carbon gasification efficiency.
Required selection criteria
- You must have a professionally relevant background in Physical Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, or closely related fields with solid knowledge and experience in thermodynamic equilibrium modeling.
- Your education must correspond to a five-year Norwegian degree programme, where 120 credits are obtained at master’s level
- You must have a strong academic background from your previous studies and an average grade from the master’s degree program, or equivalent education, which is equal to B or better compared with NTNU’s grading scale. If you do not have letter grades from previous studies, you must have an equally good academic basis. If you have a weaker grade background, you may be assessed if you can document that you are particularly suitable for a PhD education.
- You must meet the requirements for admission to the faculty’s doctoral program in Engineering, (https://www.ntnu.edu/studies/phiv).
- Good knowledge of chemical thermodynamics or thermodynamics for chemical engineering.
- Documented skill and experience in chemical thermodynamic modelling.
- Good Matlab skill for programming, data processing and analysis.
- Great command of both written and spoken English.
Acceptable tests of English for the candidates from non-English speaking countries include TOEFL, IELTS, CAE (Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English), or CPE (Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English).
The appointment is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants and Regulations concerning the degrees of Philosophiae Doctor (PhD) and Philosodophiae Doctor (PhD) in artistic research national guidelines for appointment as PhD, post doctor and research assistant
Preferred selection criteria
- Good knowledge of thermochemical conversions (combustion, gasification, and pyrolysis) of lignocellulosic biomass materials.
- Hand-on experience in thermodynamic modelling for biomass gasification.
- Highly dedicated and committed.
- Good teamwork and communication skills.
- Ability to solve complex technical tasks independently
Salary and conditions
PhD candidates are remunerated in code 1017, and are normally remunerated at gross from NOK 482 200 per annum before tax, depending on qualifications and seniority. From the salary, 2% is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
The period of employment is 3 years.
Appointment to a PhD position requires that you are admitted to the PhD programme in Engineering within three months of employment, and that you participate in an organized PhD programme during the employment period.
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants, and the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. Candidates who by assessment of the application and attachment are seen to conflict with the criteria in the latter law will be prohibited from recruitment to NTNU. After the appointment you must assume that there may be changes in the area of work.
The position is subject to external funding.
It is a prerequisite you can be present at and accessible to the institution daily.
About the application
The application and supporting documentation to be used as the basis for the assessment must be in English.
Publications and other scientific work must follow the application. Please note that applications are only evaluated based on the information available on the application deadline. You should ensure that your application shows clearly how your skills and experience meet the criteria which are set out above.
The application must include :
- CV, certificates and diplomas
- transcripts and diplomas for bachelor’s and master’s degrees. If you have not completed the master’s degree, you must submit a confirmation that the master’s thesis has been submitted.
- A copy of the master’s thesis. If you recently have submitted your master’s thesis, you can attach a draft of the thesis. Documentation of a completed master’s degree must be presented before taking up the position.
- Name and address of three referees
- If you have publications or other relevant research work
If all, or parts, of your education has been taken abroad, we also ask you to attach documentation of the scope and quality of your entire education, both bachelor’s and master’s education, in addition to other higher education. Description of the documentation required can be found here. If you already have a statement from NOKUT, please attach this as well.
Joint works will be considered. If it is difficult to identify your contribution to joint works, you must attach a brief description of your participation.
In the evaluation of which candidate is best qualified, emphasis will be placed on education, experience and personal and interpersonal qualities. Motivation, ambitions, and potential will also count in the assessment of the candidates.
NTNU is committed to following evaluation criteria for research quality according to The San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment – DORA.