Department of Nutrition, Exercise and Sports invites applicants for a PhD fellowship in deep phenotype characteristics of highly selected populations.
Start date is (expected to be) 31-12-2021 or as soon as possible thereafter.
The specific research project is aiming at investigating the variation in human physiological capacities of selected and distinct populations such as athletes, soldiers and populations with extreme occupations by measuring a wide range of physiological measures including cardiovascular-, muscle-, motor control function and various health markers.
Who are we looking for?
We are looking for candidates within the field(s) of human integrative and exercise physiology. Applicants can have a background from human physiology, human biology or similar with experience in assessment the human phenotype including cardiovascular-, muscle- and motor control function as well as hormone and other health related markers.
Our group and research- and what do we offer?
The Department of Nutrition, Exercise and Sports focus on research, education, innovation and dissemination of knowledge within nutrition, human physiology and sports at the highest international level and cover health sciences as well as humanity and social science disciplines. The applicant will be a part of a research group within the Section of Integrative Physiology, which focus on human exercise physiology with a primary interet in cardiovascular-, muscle-, and neurophysiology. The section applies a wide range of advances methods including both invasive and non-invasive measurements of the human cardiovascular system, muscles and brain as well as studies based on cell and animal models.
The group is a part of Department of Nutrition, Exercise and Sports, Faculty of SCIENCE, University of Copenhagen. We are located in Copenhagen.
We offer creative and stimulating working conditions in dynamic and international research environment. Our research facilities include modern laboratories.
Principal supervisor isProfessor Nikolai Baastrup Nordsborg, Department of Nutrition, Exercise and Sports, email@example.com, +45 35321612
The PhD programme
A three year full-time study within the framework of the regular PhD programme (5+3 scheme), if you already have an education equivalent to a relevant Danish master’s degree.
Qualifications needed for the regular programme
To be eligible for the regular PhD programme, you must have completed a degree programme, equivalent to a Danish master’s degree (180 ECTS/3 FTE BSc + 120 ECTS/2 FTE MSc) related to the subject area of the project, e.g. M.Sc. Human Physiology. For information of eligibility of completed programmes, see General assessments for specific countries and Assessment database.
Terms of employment in the regular programme
Employment as PhD fellow is full time and for maximum 3 years.
Employment is conditional upon your successful enrolment as a PhD student at the PhD School at the Faculty of SCIENCE, University of Copenhagen. This requires submission and acceptance of an application for the specific project formulated by the applicant.
The terms of employment and salary are in accordance to the agreement between the Ministry of Finance and The Danish Confederation of Professional Associations on Academics in the State (AC). The position is covered by the Protocol on Job Structure.
Responsibilities and tasks in PhD programmes
- Complete and pass the MSc education in accordance with the curriculum of the MSc programme (ONLY when you are attending the integrated MSc and PhD programme)
- Carry through an independent research project under supervision
- Complete PhD courses corresponding to approx. 30 ECTS / ½ FTE
- Participate in active research environments, including a stay at another research institution, preferably abroad
- Teaching and knowledge dissemination activities
- Write scientific papers aimed at high-impact journals
- Write and defend a PhD thesis on the basis of your project
We are looking for the following qualifications:
- Professional qualifications relevant to the PhD project
- Relevant publications
- Relevant work experience
- Other relevant professional activities
- Good language skills
Application and Assessment Procedure
Your application including all attachments must be in English and submitted electronically by clicking APPLY NOW below.
- Motivated letter of application (max. one page)
- Your motivation for applying for the specific PhD project
- Curriculum vitae including information about your education, experience, language skills and other skills relevant for the position
- Original diplomas for Bachelor of Science or Master of Science and transcript of records in the original language, including an authorized English translation if issued in another language than English or Danish. If not completed, a certified/signed copy of a recent transcript of records or a written statement from the institution or supervisor is accepted.
- Publication list (if possible)
- Reference letters (if available)
The deadline for apllications is Sunday 31 October 2021, 23:59 GMT+2.
Interviews with selected candidates are expected to be held as soon as possible after application deadline.
We reserve the right not to consider material received after the deadline, and not to consider applications that do not live up to the abovementioned requirements.
The further process
After deadline, a number of applicants will be selected for academic assessment by an unbiased expert assessor. You are notified, whether you will be passed for assessment.
The assessor will assess the qualifications and experience of the shortlisted applicants with respect to the above mentioned research area, techniques, skills and other requirements. The assessor will conclude whether each applicant is qualified and, if so, for which of the two models. The assessed applicants will have the opportunity to comment on their assessment. You can read about the recruitment process at http://employment.ku.dk/faculty/recruitment-process/.
For specific information about the PhD fellowship, please contact the principal supervisor.
General information about PhD study at the Faculty of SCIENCE is available at the PhD School’s website: https://www.science.ku.dk/phd/.