The PhD Program follows a strong research-intensive tradition on the North American model. It is designed to enable students to gain a deep knowledge of management in general, to develop a concentration in a specialized field, and to provide opportunities for students to do significant original research in their chosen area. PhD students are offered intensive and targeted research training and exceptional collaboration opportunities with faculty to prepare them for their future careers in teaching and/or research.
Non-MPhil holders may be admitted through an integrated MPhil and PhD program study scheme.
On successful completion of the PhD program, graduates will be able to:
- Demonstrate a sound grasp of the literature in financial economics;
- Apply their specialized knowledge to solve related business problems in an innovative fashion;
- Have an in depth understanding of contemporary business and organizational issues, within finance; and
- Equipped to perform all aspects of the role of faculty in academia, including pedagogical skills.
The program is offered by the Department of Finance with the following research foci:
- Corporate Finance
- Financial Contracts and Institutions
- Asset Pricing
- Behavioral Finance
- International Financial Markets
To qualify for admission, applicants must meet all of the following requirements. Admission is selective and meeting these minimum requirements does not guarantee admission.
1. General Admission Requirements of the University
- Applicants seeking admission to a doctoral degree program should have obtained a bachelor’s degree with a proven record of outstanding performance from a recognized institution; or presented evidence of satisfactory work at the postgraduate level on a full-time basis for at least one year, or on a part-time basis for at least two years.
2. English Language Admission Requirements
Applicants have to fulfill English Language requirements with one of the following proficiency attainments:
- TOEFL-iBT: 80*
- TOEFL-pBT: 550
- TOEFL-Revised paper-delivered test: 60 (total scores for Reading, Listening and Writing sections)
- IELTS (Academic Module): Overall score: 6.5 and All sub-score: 5.5
* refers to the total score in one single attempt
Applicants are not requried to present TOEFL or IELTS score if
- their first language is English, or
- they obtained the bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) from an institution where the medium of instruction was English.
3. Program-Specific Admission Requirements
- A satisfactory score in GMAT or GRE