KTH , School of Industrial Engineering and Management
KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm has grown to become one of Europe’s leading technical and engineering universities, as well as a key centre of intellectual talent and innovation. We are Sweden’s largest technical research and learning institution and home to students, researchers and faculty from around the world. Our research and education covers a wide area including natural sciences and all branches of engineering, as well as architecture, industrial management, urban planning, history and philosophy.
Third-cycle subject: Energy Technology
Today there are about 4000 supermarkets in Sweden, and those account for about 3% of Swedish electricity use, where the refrigeration system typically accounts to about 50% of the supermarket’s total electric energy use. In modern supermarkets the refrigeration system can be designed to also provide space heating and air conditioning simultaneously to the supermarket’s own building, this is achieved at quite high efficiency.
There is a potential for the supermarket’s energy systems to export heating and air conditioning to neighboring residential buildings and shopping centers. However, it is in practice difficult to achieve a successful collaboration between the supermarket’s and the nearby building’s owners. This is mainly because heating is typically included in the property lease, lack of technical and economical knowledge, poor control and monitoring of the energy system, etc.
Therefore, there is a need to show that collaboration between the supermarket and nearby building owners can be technically possible and financially profitable for both parties. This project will provide the required technical solutions and business models.
The project is co-financed by the Swedish Energy Agency and 11 industrial partners who will facilitate its implementation.
Supervision: The doctoral student will be supervised by:associate prof. Jaime Arias and associate pref. Samer Sawalha.
What we offer
- The possibility to study in a dynamic and international research environment in collaboration with industries and prominent universities from all over the world.Read more
- A workplace with many employee benefits and monthly salary according to KTH’s Doctoral student salary agreement.
- A postgraduate education at an institution that is active and supportive in matters pertaining to working conditions, gender equality and diversity as well as study environment.
- Work and study in Stockholm, close to nature and the water.
- Help to relocate and be settled in Sweden and at KTH.
- Work in research group experienced in relevant research areas.
- Strong connection to the relevant industry through project consortium that includes 11 companies.
In order to succeed as a doctoral student at KTH you need to be goal oriented and persevering in your work. During the selection process, candidates will be assessed upon their ability to:
- independently pursue his or her work
- collaborate with others,
- have a professional approach and
- analyse and work with complex issues.
- have a good background or interest in economic analysis.
- be able to maintain active communication with industrial partners.
Experience related to refrigeration and heat pump technology is an advantage, as well as experience of writing scientific publications in related areas.
After the qualification requirements, great emphasis will be placed on personal qualities and personal suitability.
Target degree: doctoral degree
Information regarding admission and employment
Only those admitted to postgraduate education may be employed as a doctoral student. The total length of employment may not be longer than what corresponds to full-time doctoral education in four years ‘ time. An employed doctoral student can, to a limited extent (maximum 20%), perform certain tasks within their role, e.g. training and administration. A new position as a doctoral student is for a maximum of one year, and then the employment may be renewed for a maximum of two years at a time.
You will find contact information for union representatives on KTH’s website.
Doctoral section (Students’ union on KTH Royal Institute of Technology)
You will find contact information for doctoral section on the section’s website.
Apply for the position and admission through KTH’s recruitment system. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that the application is complete in accordance with the instructions in the advertisement.
Applications must be received at the last closing date at midnight, CET/CEST (Central European Time/entral European Summer Time).
Applications must include the following elements:
- CV including your relevant professional experience and knowledge.
- Application letter with a brief description of why you want to pursue research studies, about what your academic interests are and how they relate to your previous studies and future goals. (Maximum 2 pages long)
- Copies of diplomas and grades from previous university studies and certificates of fulfilled language requirements (see above). Translations into English or Swedish if the original document is not issued in one of these languages.
- Representative publications or technical reports. For longer documents, please provide a summary (abstract) and a web link to the full text.