The Programme is research-oriented and a student may be required to enrol in formal courses as deemed necessary. All students must meet their Supervisors for prescription of courses every academic year before course selection.
Students have to fulfil the qualifying examination requirement before they submit their portfolios.
Fields of Specialization
Please visit the Division’s homepage for more information.
In addition to the general requirements of the Graduate School, applicants should:
1. have majored in composition or another related field.
2. submit the following materials
- curriculum vitae (must use the template which can be downloaded from the Music Department’s website: www.cuhk.edu.hk/mus);
- a representative selection of the candidate’s music composition work (3-4 pieces, in which at least one is a large-scale chamber, choral, or orchestral work) in the style in which the candidate proposes to work; and
- a research proposal of 2-3 pages written in English, addressing the following:
a) compositional approach, process, and techniques
b) musical style and examples of comparative practice
c) proposed structure of the portfolio (including instrumentation and duration);
3. attend an interview (shortlisted applicants).
HKPFS Application Deadline
(for PhD programmes only)
- To submit an initial application to RGC: By 12 noon, 1 December 2020 (Hong Kong time); and
- To submit full application to CUHK: By 5 pm, 1 December 2020 (Hong Kong time).
Please refer to HKPFS page for more details.