Computational demands for digital signal processing and AI/ML workloads in beyond 5G wireless communication systems is rapidly increasing due to the use of ultra-wideband network that uses high-band millimeter wave (mmWave) spectrum. The increasing computational demand poses significant challenge to realize the silicon implementation of the processing hardware while meeting the power consumption budget. One of the main contributors to the total power consumption is the dynamic power consumption due to the heavy switching activity (due to the extreme high data-rates) in the compute logic and in the interconnect. This PhD position will contribute to the development of circuit-level innovations to reduce the dynamic energy dissipation for compute and data movement operations inside the processing hardware. This will be done by understanding and exploiting the opportunities in specific AI/ML based signal processing applications in the wireless communication systems.
Electronic Systems group at TU/e
The Electronic Systems group consists of seven full professors, two associate professors, eight assistant professors, several postdocs, about 40 PDEng and PhD candidates and support staff. The ES group is world-renowned for its design automation and embedded systems research. It is our ambition to provide a scientific basis for design trajectories of electronic systems, ranging from digital circuits to cyber-physical systems. The trajectories are constructive and lead to high quality, cost-effective systems with predictable properties (functionality, timing, reliability, power dissipation, and cost). Design trajectories for applications that have strict real-time requirements and stringent power constraints are an explicit focus point of the group.
We are looking for excellent candidates that add value to the ES group and match the following profile:
- A master’s degree in Electrical Engineering or related disciplines with excellent grades.
- Excellent knowledge of digital circuit design fundamentals.
- First experience with digital IC design flow and tools (Cadence or similar)
- Experience with hardware design languages (e.g., Verilog/VHDL).
- A team player that enjoys working in multicultural teams.
- Good communication and organization skills.
- Excellent English language skills (writing and presenting).
Conditions of employment
- A meaningful job in a dynamic and ambitious university with the possibility to present your work at international conferences.
- A full-time employment for four years, with an intermediate evaluation (go/no-go) after nine months.
- To develop your teaching skills, you will spend 10% of your employment on teaching tasks.
- To support you during your PhD and to prepare you for the rest of your career, you will make a Training and Supervision plan and you will have free access to a personal development program for PhD students (PROOF program).
- A gross monthly salary and benefits (such as a pension scheme, pregnancy and maternity leave, partially paid parental leave) in accordance with the Collective Labor Agreement for Dutch Universities.
- Additionally, an annual holiday allowance of 8% of the yearly salary, plus a year-end allowance of 8.3% of the annual salary.
- Should you come from abroad and comply with certain conditions, you can make use of the so-called ‘30% facility’, which permits you not to pay tax on 30% of your salary.
- A broad package of fringe benefits, including an excellent technical infrastructure, moving expenses, and savings schemes.
- Family-friendly initiatives are in place, such as an international spouse program, and excellent on-campus children day care and sports facilities.
Information and application
Do you recognize yourself in this profile and would you like to know more? Please contact
dr. Manil Dev Gomony, m.gomony[at]tue.nl.
For information about terms of employment, click here or contact Mrs. Linda van den Boomen,
HR advisor, l.j.c.v.d.boomen[at]tue.nl
Please visit www.tue.nl/jobs to find out more about working at TU/e!
If you are interested in working in an exciting, dynamic, high-tech environment, where you will contribute to creating the society of the future, then apply through the button on this page and upload an extended curriculum vitae including a detailed curriculum vitae, a letter of motivation, a portfolio with copies of diplomas with course grades and contact information of two references.
We look forward to your application and will screen it as soon as we have received it. Screening will continue until the position has been filled.
We do not respond to applications that are sent to us in a different way.
Please keep in mind you can upload only 5 documents up to 2 MB each. If necessary please combine files.