Polyolefins have proven to be highly useful materials for society, because they are lightweight, strong and not prone to degradation. Unfortunately, this latter feature also leads to their accumulation in the environment. Direct action is needed to find solutions how to deal with polylefin waste. One important and scientifically challenging option is to chemically convert the polymers into useful feedstock. You will be working on the project ”Confined catalysis for controlled depolymerization of polyolefins”, which is part of the Flagship program Chemical Recycling of Polyolefins via Novel Catalytic and Separation Routes within the Advanced Research Center Chemical Building Block Consortium (ARC CBBC).
Together with colleagues from Eindhoven, Delft and Utrecht, you will be searching for creative catalytic solutions to tackle this challenge. Your contribution is focused on the creation of nanosized polymer-based nanoreactors, which are loaded with catalysts. The use of of a confined space around the reaction site allows for the control of the molecular weight of the products formed during depolymerization.
You are a highly motivated polymer scientist with great synthetic skills and a strong affinity for nanoscience. You have an exploratory mind set. You are embedded in the bio-organic chemistry group, where we have the infrastructure and expertise to develop nanoparticles of controlled size and shape. You are a team player who likes to interact with colleagues of the ARC CBBC Flagship project and the bio-organic chemistry group and listens well to advice.
- A master’s degree (or an equivalent university degree) in polymer science
- A research oriented attitude.
- Ability to work in a team and interested in collaborating with the industrial partners.
- Fluent in spoken and written English.
Conditions of employment
- A meaningful job in a dynamic and ambitious university with the possibility to present your work at international conferences.
- A full-time employment for four years, with an intermediate evaluation after one year.
- To develop your teaching skills, you will spend 10% of your employment on teaching tasks.
- To support you during your PhD and to prepare you for the rest of your career, you will make a Training and Supervision plan and you will have free access to a personal development program for PhD students (PROOF program).
- A gross monthly salary and benefits (such as a pension scheme, pregnancy and maternity leave, partially paid parental leave) in accordance with the Collective Labor Agreement for Dutch Universities.
- Additionally, an annual holiday allowance of 8% of the yearly salary, plus a year-end allowance of 8.3% of the annual salary.
- Should you come from abroad and comply with certain conditions, you can make use of the so-called ‘30% facility’, which permits you not to pay tax on 30% of your salary.
- A broad package of fringe benefits, including an excellent technical infrastructure, moving expenses, and savings schemes.
- Family-friendly initiatives are in place, such as an international spouse program, and excellent on-campus children day care and sports facilities.
Information and application
Do you recognize yourself in this profile and would you like to know more? Please contact
Professor Jan van Hest , j.c.m.v.hest[at]tue.nl or +31 40 247 3515.
For information about terms of employment, click here or contact Leo van Houten, HR-Advisor, l.v.houten[at]tue.nl or +31 40 247 8269.
Please visit www.tue.nl/jobs to find out more about working at TU/e!
We invite you to submit a complete application by using the ‘apply now’-button on this page.
The application should include a:
- Cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position.
- Curriculum vitae, including a list of your publications and the contact information of three references.
- Brief description of your MSc thesis.
We look forward to your application and will screen it as soon as we have received it.
We do not respond to applications that are sent to us in a different way.
Please keep in mind you can upload only 5 documents up to 2 MB each. If necessary please combine files.