Within the recently funded NWO Vidi grant “Unravelling watershed fluxes to detect emerging changes of the water balance” we are looking for 2 PhD Candidates (see also the other vacancy), this is position 2.
You will develop an inversion scheme to estimate watershed-wide mass fluxes, and (relative) sea level based upon weighted least squares. It will ingest data from the satellite gravity mission GRACE and its follow-on, river discharge estimates, regional sea level estimates and observed vertical land motion. The inversion scheme will have global coverage, but it will be refined in the two focus regions (North Sea and the Greater Horn of Africa) in terms of atmospheric moisture flux and river discharge across the watershed boundaries. You will work closely together with the other PhD position as the inversion scheme will be fed with datasets they produce.
- You have an MSc degree in geodesy/geomatics, civil engineering, earth sciences or a related field
- You have an interdisciplinary mindset and affinity with topics such as the large scale water cycle, sea level, inverse problems and (geodetic) earth observation techniques
- You have programming skills (python is an advantage), and are interested in geo-informatics, earth observation, cloud computing and working with spatial databases
- You value applying open science principles in your research
- You are a team worker
- You have an excellent command of English (above IELTS 7.5 or equivalent), and enjoy communicating your research to a broader audience
We offer you an inspiring multidisciplinary and challenging international and academic environment. The university offers a dynamic ecosystem with enthusiastic colleagues in which internationalisation is an important part of the strategic agenda. You will be employed on a fulltime basis for 4 years, with a qualifier in the first year. Salary and conditions will be in accordance with the Collective Labor Agreement (CAO-NU) of the Dutch Universities.
- A starting salary of € 2,541.- in the first year and a salary of € 3,247.- in the fourth year gross per month;
- Tailor-made educational/development programme of at least 6 months (30EC), including visits to conferences;
- A holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary and a year-end bonus of 8.3%;
- A solid pension scheme;
- A total of 41 holiday days in case of full-time employment;
- Professional and personal development programmes;
- Costs for moving to Enschede may be reimbursed.
INFORMATION AND APPLICATION
For more information you can contact Dr-Ing Roelof Rietbroek (e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org). You are also invited to visit our homepage.
Please submit your application before 30 September 2022 (choose “apply now” below). Your application should include:
- A cover letter (maximum 1 page A4), emphasizing your specific interest to this position, your qualifications and motivation to apply for this position.
- A full Curriculum Vitae, including a list of all courses attended with associated grades and 2 references.
- An executive summary (maximum 1 page A4) highlighting one of your (MSc) research projects
Job interviews will tentatively be held in the second half of October 2022
The University of Twente wants to be an organisation that optimally deploys diversity, talents and capabilities in the labour market for now and the future. In the framework of our diversity and inclusiveness policy, we strongly stimulate people with a (work) disability to apply for this position.