About the position
We have a vacant PhD position at the Department of Computer Science (IDI) with a research focus on computer architecture. The computing landscape is shifting from the traditional desktop computing to mobile-cloud computing model. In this new model, datacenters have emerged as the workhorses that do all the heavy-duty computations and serve as the backbone of mobile services. A modern datacenter draws multi mega-watts of power and costs over $100 million to deploy. However, the processors deployed in datacenters remain highly under-utilized due to a large mismatch in application characteristics and processor microarchitecture.
The objective of this PhD project is to specialize server processor architectures to match application characteristics. Datacenter applications are characterized by massive instruction footprints that frequently stall the core front-end. This project will investigate low overhead instruction delivery mechanisms to mitigate this front-end bottleneck. Datacenter applications offer very limited instruction- and memory-level parallelism which causes core back-end to burn energy on instructions without much performance gain. This project will investigate allocating expensive resources only to performance critical instructions while executing the rest cheaply.
For a position as a PhD Candidate, the goal is a completed doctoral education up to an obtained doctoral degree.
You will report to the Head of the Department.
Duties of the position
- Conducting high quality research
- Take lead role in writing research papers
- Comply with the PhD training program of the faculty
- Establish close cooperation with the other PhD students within Computer Architecture Lab
Required selection criteria
- You must have a professionally relevant background with a master’s degree in computer science, computer engineering, electronics engineering or equivalent.
- Your education must correspond to a five-year Norwegian degree program, where 120 credits are obtained at master’s level.
- You must have a strong academic background from your previous studies and an average grade from the master’s degree program, or equivalent education, which is equal to B or better compared with NTNU’s grading scale. If you do not have letter grades from previous studies, you must have an equally good academic basis. If you have a weaker grade background, you may be assessed if you can document that you are particularly suitable for a PhD education.
- You must meet the requirements for admission to the faculty’s doctoral program.
Candidates who are close to finishing their master’s studies are also encouraged to apply.
The appointment is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants and Regulations concerning the degrees of Philosophiae Doctor (PhD) and Philosodophiae Doctor (PhD) in artistic research national guidelines for appointment as PhD, post doctor and research assistant
Preferred selection criteria
- Strong programming skills in C/C++
- Good understanding of computer architecture
- Experience with simulator-based evaluation of computer architectures
- Experience with software development and optimization
- Excellent English written and oral communication skills
- Passion for uncovering new knowledge and communicating it to others.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as collaboratively.
- Demonstrated ability to quickly acquire knowledge in new topics.
Salary and conditions
PhD candidates are remunerated in code 1017, and are normally remunerated at gross from NOK 491 200 per annum before tax, depending on qualifications and seniority. From the salary, 2% is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
The period of employment is 4 years with 25 % teaching duties assigned by the department.
Appointment to a PhD position requires that you are admitted to the PhD programme in Computer Science within three months of employment, and that you participate in an organized PhD programme during the employment period.
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants, and the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. Candidates who by assessment of the application and attachment are seen to conflict with the criteria in the latter law will be prohibited from recruitment to NTNU. After the appointment you must assume that there may be changes in the area of work.
It is a prerequisite you can be present at and accessible to the institution daily.
About the application
The application and supporting documentation to be used as the basis for the assessment must be in English.
Publications and other scientific work must follow the application. Please note that applications are only evaluated based on the information available on the application deadline. You should ensure that your application shows clearly how your skills and experience meet the criteria which are set out above.
The application must include:
- A short (1-2 page) cover letter describing your motivation to apply for this position, suitability for this position, relevant qualifications, and research interests
- CV, certificates, and diplomas
- Transcripts and diplomas for bachelor’s and master’s degrees.
- Name, current affiliation, and email address of at least 2 persons that will provide reference for you.
- If you have publications or other relevant research work
If all, or parts, of your education has been taken abroad, we also ask you to attach documentation of the scope and quality of your entire education, both bachelor’s and master’s education, in addition to other higher education. Description of the documentation required can be found here. If you already have a statement from NOKUT, please attach this as well.
Joint works will be considered. If it is difficult to identify your contribution to joint works, you must attach a brief description of your participation.
In the evaluation of which candidate is best qualified, emphasis will be placed on education, experience and personal and interpersonal qualities. Motivation, ambitions, and potential will also count in the assessment of the candidates.
NTNU is committed to following evaluation criteria for research quality according to The San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment – DORA.
Working at NTNU
A good work environment is characterized by diversity. We encourage qualified candidates to apply, regardless of their gender, functional capacity or cultural background.
The city of Trondheim is a modern European city with a rich cultural scene. Trondheim is the innovation capital of Norway with a population of 200,000. The Norwegian welfare state, including healthcare, schools, kindergartens and overall equality, is probably the best of its kind in the world. Professional subsidized day-care for children is easily available. Furthermore, Trondheim offers great opportunities for education (including international schools) and possibilities to enjoy nature, culture and family life and has low crime rates and clean air quality.
As an employee at NTNU, you must at all times adhere to the changes that the development in the subject entails and the organizational changes that are adopted.
Information Act (Offentleglova), your name, age, position and municipality may be made public even if you have requested not to have your name entered on the list of applicants.
If you have any questions about the position, please contact Associate Professor Rakesh Kumar, telephone +47-40985753, email email@example.com, or the Head of department Heri Ramampiaro, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please submit your application electronically via jobbnorge.no with your CV, diplomas and certificates. Applications submitted elsewhere will not be considered. Diploma Supplement is required to attach for European Master Diplomas outside Norway. Chinese applicants are required to provide confirmation of Master Diploma from China Credentials Verification (CHSI).
If you are invited for interview you must include certified copies of transcripts and reference letters. Please refer to the application number 2020/6721 when applying.
Application deadline: 10.10.21