• The SWITCH Laboratory is one of the leading laboratories in human disease-related protein aggregation. It is an interdisciplinary workplace, bringing together about 25 researchers from different backgrounds, such as bioinformatics, biophysics and cell biology. SWITCH has a unique platform of technologies for studying protein aggregation, including biophysical, ultrastructural and cell biological instrumentations. For a primer on who we are, what we do and our latest publications, see http://www.switchlab.org/ • The lab for therapeutic and diagnostic antibodies has more than 25 years of expertise in the generation, optimization and in vitro and vivo validation of antibody(-fragments). The laboratory also hosts Pharmabs, the KU Leuven innovation, valorisation and incubation platform for the development of antibody-based therapeutics and diagnostics. The team consists out of about 20 enthusiastic researchers. More info, see https://pharm.kuleuven.be/biotech. Website unit
We are looking for a student for a project of computational antibody design that aims to design de novo antibodies against any desired target without the need for immunization. Your role will mainly be focused on taking the predicted antibodies from the software and selecting actual binders in an experimental high throughput setup. An interest in and an affinity for structural computational biology is certainly a plus, but your core expertise should be on the experimental side: phage display, protein purification and biophysical characterization.
- M.Sc. Bio-engineering (biotechnology), M.Sc. Pharmaceutical Sciences, or similar
- M.Sc. Bio-informatics is considered a plus, if combined with a biotechnological or biophysical background
- Experience with protein purification, phage display and biophysics is a plus
- Highly motivated, enthusiastic, critical and creative
- The ability to work in a multidisciplinary team is a must
- Candidates must be proficient in oral and written English
- A four-year funded PhD student position
- A vibrant, world-class research environment operating at an international level
- Access to the resources of two host institutions:
VIB (http://www.vib.be/en/about-vib/organization/Pages/default.aspx), an excellence-based research institute
KU Leuven, one of Europe’s leading research universities (https://www.kuleuven.be/english/why-choose-kuleuven.html)
- State of the art research facilities
For more information please contact Mrs. Hannah Wilkinson, tel.: +32 16 37 25 70, mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.You can apply for this job no later than September 01, 2021 via the online application toolKU Leuven seeks to foster an environment where all talents can flourish, regardless of gender, age, cultural background, nationality or impairments. If you have any questions relating to accessibility or support, please contact us at diversiteit.HR@kuleuven.be.