About the position
A PhD position is available at the Department of Computer Science in Gjøvik. It is required to conduct a systematic investigation on the effect of flicker on color perception. The candidate will conduct research into temporal aspects of color vision, design and conduct psychophysical experiments to analyze the effect of different flicker types and frequencies on color matching. The experiments are meant to propose new standards describing human color vision.
The new numerical description of the link between the wavelength distributions of visible stimuli, and physiologically perceived colors will contribute to improve the results of film digitization compensating for the different temporal unfolding of image display with analog and digital projectors. This pioneering research will also provide a relevant contribution in the broader field of visual perception.
For a position as a PhD Candidate, the goal is a completed doctoral education up to an obtained doctoral degree.
The position is complementing the state-of-the-art research performed at the Norwegian Colour and Visual Computing Laboratory.
Your immediate leader is the Head of Department.
Duties of the position
- Conduct a stand-alone research project on color vision.
- Participate in the general activities of the Colourlab.
- Participate in the general activities of the Department.
- Complete a training component as part of the PhD of a minimum of 30 ECTS.
- Participate in international activities such as conference attendance and secondments at educational institutions abroad.
- In case of a 4-year position, teach courses in the field of color science part of the MSc program at NTNU.
Required selection criteria
- You must have a professionally relevant background in color science, optics, spectroscopy, or similar.
- Your education must correspond to a five-year Norwegian degree program, where 120 credits are obtained at master’s level.
- You must have a strong academic background from your previous studies and an average grade from the master’s degree program, or equivalent education, which is equal to B or better compared with NTNU’s grading scale. If you do not have letter grades from previous studies, you must have an equally good academic basis. If you have a weaker grade background, you may be assessed if you can document that you are particularly suitable for a PhD education.
- Master’s students in their final year of studies can apply, but the master’s degree must be obtained and documented before the employment.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and an ability to communicate effectively.
- You must meet the requirements for admission to the faculty`s doctoral programme.
- Good programming knowledge and experience.
The appointment is to be made in accordance with Regulations concerning the degrees of Philosophiae Doctor (PhD) and Philosodophiae Doctor (PhD) in artistic research national guidelines for appointment as PhD, post doctor and research assistant
Preferred selection criteria
- Experience with electronics.
- Experience with vision science and psychophysics.
- Documented interest in film preservation.
- Experience with solid modeling.
- Norwegian language skills.
- High motivation for research work and ability to work independently.
- Well organized.
- Ability to work both individually and in a team environment with a high level of personal responsibility, initiative, and leadership skills.
- Flexibility and ability to take direction and accommodate feedback from diverse stakeholders.
- Ability to meet deadlines and produce work of a consistently high standard.
- Eager to disseminate research results through publications and presentations at international conferences.
Salary and conditions
As a PhD candidate (code 1017) you are normally paid from gross NOK 501 200 per annum before tax, depending on qualifications and seniority. From the salary, 2% is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
The period of employment is 3 or 4 years. A 4-year position would require 25 % teaching duties.
Appointment to a PhD position requires that you are admitted to the PhD programme in computer science, within three months of employment, and that you participate in an organized PhD programme during the employment period.
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants, and the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. Candidates who by assessment of the application and attachment are seen to conflict with the criteria in the latter law will be prohibited from recruitment to NTNU. After the appointment you must assume that there may be changes in the area of work.
It is a prerequisite you can be present at and accessible to the institution daily.
About the application
The application and supporting documentation to be used as the basis for the assessment must be in English.
Publications and other scientific work must follow the application. Please note that your application will be considered based solely on information submitted by the application deadline. You must therefore ensure that your application clearly demonstrates how your skills and experience fulfil the criteria specified above.
The application must include:
- CV and certificates
- Transcripts and diplomas for bachelor’s and master’s degrees. If you have not completed the master’s degree, you must submit a confirmation that the master’s thesis has been submitted.
- A copy of the master’s thesis. If you recently have submitted your master’s thesis, you can attach a draft of the thesis. Documentation of a completed master’s degree must be presented before taking up the position.
- A max 1-page motivation letter describing why the position is interesting for you and why your background and expertise are valuable for the project.
- Name and contact information of three referees.
- Any publications or other relevant research work (up to 3 items).
If all, or parts, of your education has been taken abroad, we also ask you to attach documentation of the scope and quality of your entire education, both bachelor’s and master’s education, in addition to other higher education. Description of the documentation required can be found here. If you already have a statement from NOKUT, please attach this as well.
We will take joint work into account. If it is difficult to identify your efforts in the joint work, you must enclose a short description of your participation.
In the evaluation of which candidate is best qualified, emphasis will be placed on education, experience and personal and interpersonal qualities. Motivation, ambitions, and potential will also count in the assessment of the candidates.
NTNU is committed to following evaluation criteria for research quality according to The San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment – DORA.
Working at NTNU
NTNU believes that inclusion and diversity is our strength. We want to recruit people with different competencies, educational backgrounds, life experiences and perspectives to contribute to solving our social responsibilities within education and research. We will facilitate for our employees’ needs.
NTNU is working actively to increase the number of women employed in scientific positions and has a number of resources to promote equality.
The city of Gjøvik has a population of 30 000 and is a town known for its rich music and cultural life. The beautiful nature surrounding the city is ideal for an active outdoor life! The Norwegian welfare state, including healthcare, schools, kindergartens and overall equality, is probably the best of its kind in the world.
As an employee at NTNU, you must at all times adhere to the changes that the development in the subject entails and the organizational changes that are adopted.
A public list of applicants with name, age, job title and municipality of residence is prepared after the application deadline. If you want to reserve yourself from entry on the public applicant list, this must be justified. Assessment will be made in accordance with current legislation. You will be notified if the reservation is not accepted.
If you have any questions about the position, please contact Giorgio Trumpy, email email@example.com. If you have any questions about the recruitment process, please contact the HR-team at the Department of Computer Science by e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you think this looks interesting and in line with your qualifications, please submit your application electronically via jobbnorge.no. Applications submitted elsewhere will not be considered. Upon request, you must be able to obtain certified copies of your documentation.
Application deadline: 30.09.2022.