About the position
We have a vacancy for a PhD candidate at the Department of Clinical and Molecular Medicine, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU).
To support ongoing translational research on cancer, we are soliciting for a PhD position (100% for three years, preferably starting no later than February 2022).
Duties of the position
- Take advanced courses (PhD level) that consist of minimum 30 credits (ECTS) at NTNU or at other institutions in Norway or abroad.
- Carry out research effectively to a high standard and within the prescribed period of study.
- Comply with the ethical standards for research that apply to the academic field.
- Write scientific manuscripts for publication in peer-reviewed international journals with open access.
- Disseminate research results at scientific conferences and seminars.
- Submit PhD thesis as a monograph or a collection of articles with a synopsis for evaluation.
- Defend the PhD thesis.
- Follow the procedures for study leave or interruption of doctoral training.
Required selection criteria
- The candidate must have a professionally relevant background in cell biology, molecular medicine, or related fields.
- The candidate’s education must correspond to a five-year Norwegian degree programme, where 120 credits are obtained at master’s level.
- The candidate must have an average grade of B or better from the master’s degree program. If the candidate does not have letter grades from previous studies, she/he must have an equally good academic basis. If the candidate has a weaker grade background, she/he may be assessed if she/he can document to be particularly suitable for the PhD position.
- The candidate must meet the requirements for admission to the faculty’s doctoral program.
Specific selection criteria
- Good knowledge and strong skill of in vitro experiments,
- Good knowledge and essential skill of data analysis and interpretation,
- Good knowledge and strong skill of dissemination.
The appointment is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants and Regulations concerning the degrees of Philosophiae Doctor (PhD) and Philosodophiae Doctor (PhD) in artistic research national guidelines for appointment as PhD, post doctor and research assistant
Preferred selection criteria
- Interdisciplinary background in biotechnology, health sciences, innovation and entrepreneurship,
- Willingness to perform in vivo experiments,
- Basic skill of bioinformatics and data/pathway-mining.
- Be able to work independently,
- Have well-established skills to work in a team.
Salary and conditions
PhD candidates are remunerated in code 1017, and are normally remunerated at gross from NOK 491 200 per annum before tax, depending on qualifications and seniority. From the salary, 2% is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
The period of employment is 3 years.
Appointment to a PhD position requires that you are admitted to the PhD programme in Medicine and Health Sciences within three months of employment, and that you participate in an organized PhD programme during the employment period.
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants, and the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. Candidates who by assessment of the application and attachment are seen to conflict with the criteria in the latter law will be prohibited from recruitment to NTNU. After the appointment you must assume that there may be changes in the area of work.
It is a prerequisite you can be present at and accessible to the institution daily.
About the application
The application and supporting documentation to be used as the basis for the assessment must be in English
Publications and other scientific work must follow the application. Please note that applications are only evaluated based on the information available on the application deadline. You should ensure that your application shows clearly how your skills and experience meet the criteria which are set out above.
The application must include (Departments to choose from the following):
- CV, certificates and diplomas
- Academic works – published or unpublished – that you would like to be considered in the assessment
- Name and address of three referees
If all, or parts, of your education has been taken abroad, we also ask you to attach documentation of the scope and quality of your entire education, both bachelor’s and master’s education, in addition to other higher education. Description of the documentation required can be found here. If you already have a statement from NOKUT, please attach this as well.
Joint works will be considered. If it is difficult to identify your contribution to joint works, you must attach a brief description of your participation.
In the evaluation of which candidate is best qualified, emphasis will be placed on education, experience and personal and interpersonal qualities. Motivation, ambitions, and potential will also count in the assessment of the candidates.
NTNU is committed to following evaluation criteria for research quality according to The San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment – DORA.
Working at NTNU
A good work environment is characterized by diversity. We encourage qualified candidates to apply, regardless of their gender, functional capacity or cultural background.
The city of Trondheim is a modern European city with a rich cultural scene. Trondheim is the innovation capital of Norway with a population of 200,000. The Norwegian welfare state, including healthcare, schools, kindergartens and overall equality, is probably the best of its kind in the world. Professional subsidized day-care for children is easily available. Furthermore, Trondheim offers great opportunities for education (including international schools) and possibilities to enjoy nature, culture and family life and has low crime rates and clean air quality.
As an employee at NTNU, you must at all times adhere to the changes that the development in the subject entails and the organizational changes that are adopted.
In accordance with The Public Information Act (Offentleglova), your name, age, position and municipality may be made public even if you have requested not to have your name entered on the list of applicants.
If you have any questions about the position, please contact professor Duan Chen, telephone 72573320, email: email@example.com. If you have any questions about the recruitment process, please contact HR advisor Vebjørn F. Andreassen, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please submit your application electronically via jobbnorge.no with your CV, diplomas and certificates. Applications submitted elsewhere will not be considered. Diploma Supplement is required to attach for European Master Diplomas outside Norway. Chinese applicants are required to provide confirmation of Master Diploma from China Credentials Verification (CHSI).
Application deadline: 25.10.2021