Apollo Tyres is one of world’s biggest tyre manufacturers. The enterprise has manufacturing units in India, The Netherlands and Hungary. Research & Development (R&D) within Apollo Tyres has over 300 engineers working mainly in Enschede, The Netherlands. R&D activities include Material science, Simulations technology, Design & Construction, CAE/FEA, Process development and Testing. The development process is strongly linked to Manufacturing, Marketing and Sales.
The design and production of new tyre products is drastically changing, being impacted by Artificial Intelligence (AI) solutions. AI has the potential of improving the performance and optimizing the material consumption of tyre production. A challenge to proper support AI is the development of a data repository, which is a sustainable data infrastructure that provides long-term storage and access to datasets for data analysis and sharing, complying to the Findable, Accessible, Interoperable and Reusable (FAIR) data principles. You will address this challenge in the PDEng project, considering the use cases of Apollo Tyres R&D.
Are you passionate about high-end technological design? Do you want to continue developing your skills with a combination of education and work?
The Professional Doctorate in Engineering (PDEng) programme Business & IT offers you a 2-year position combining post MSc education and a design project to be carried out at Apollo Tyres.
The educational programme, carried out at the University of Twente, will have an in-depth and broadening character with ample attention for professional development and will be partly tailored to the design project. In collaboration with Apollo Tyres you will work on high level, creative new designs for complex issues.
The project – FAIR Data repository for Explainable Artificial Intelligence:
- Your main goal is to develop a data repository to serve as central database that stores data about tyre mould parameters, tyre specifications, tyre test and FEA data. This data repository needs to support explainable AI methods, such as white-box artificial neural networks.
- You will define a data model schema (e.g., an ontology) covering the existing data, identify machine learning algorithms and run experimentations, choosing the most appropriate ones.
- The machine learning algorithm needs to identify minimum values of certain tyre mould parameters and tyre constructions to achieve a certain level of these tyre performance indicators: (1) Rolling resistance needs to be minimized; (2) High speed needs to be maximized; (3) Tyre durability tests needs to be more accurate.
- You will use techniques like data management, ontology engineering and machine learning, and other modelling and software engineering techniques to develop the data repository.
- You will cooperate with Apollo Tyres R&D, covering performance and technology aspects of Apollo Tyres’ products and services.
- You hold a MSc degree, for example in: Computer Science, Internet Science & Technology, Software Technology, Business Information Technology (BIT), Industrial Engineering and Management, Interaction Technology, or a related specialization;
- You have demonstrated affinity with design and multidisciplinary assignments;
- You have experience with data management and database schema design;
- You have a passion for finding solutions for complex IT-related issues;
- You have excellent collaboration and communication skills;
- You are self-starting and self-motivating, willing to take initiatives and feel the responsibility for your own project;
Applicants with a non-Dutch qualification and who have not had secondary and tertiary education in English can only be admitted with an IELTS-test showing a total band score of at least 6.5, internet TOEFL test (TOEFL-iBT) showing a score of at least 90, or a Cambridge CAE-C (CPE).
We offer a very challenging position for two years in an inspiring multidisciplinary and international environment. In this time we will provide you with a tailor made post-master design programme that has an educational component (~50%) as well as a design project (~50%).
- A salary of € 1.970,- gross per month;
- A holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary;
- A solid pension scheme;
- Minimum of 29 holidays in case of full-time employment
On successfully completing the programme, you will receive a certified degree. You will be entitled to use the academic degree PDEng and will be registered as a Technological Designer in the Dutch register kept by the Royal Institution of Engineers in the Netherlands (KIVI).
INFORMATION AND APPLICATION
Please send the following documents before June 14, 2021 through the application button below:
- Letter of motivation
- Curriculum vitae
- List with grades of courses attended
- References and, if applicable, a list of publications.
If you have any further questions about this vacancy of the PDEng programme in Business & IT, please contact João Moreira, Services and Cyber-Security, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics and Computer Science:
Telephone: +31 06 43033981
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
The faculty of Electrical Engineering, Mathematics and Computer Science (EEMCS) uses mathematics, electronics and computer technology to contribute to the development of Information and Communication Technology (ICT). With ICT present in almost every device and product we use nowadays, we embrace our role as contributors to a broad range of societal activities and as pioneers of tomorrow’s digital society. As part of a people-first tech university that aims to shape society, individuals and connections, our faculty works together intensively with industrial partners and researchers in the Netherlands and abroad, and conducts extensive research for external commissioning parties and funders. Our research has a high profile both in the Netherlands and internationally. It has been accommodated in three multidisciplinary UT research institutes: Mesa+ Institute, TechMed Centre and Digital Society Institute.
As an employer, the EEMCS Faculty offers jobs that matter. We equip you as a staff member to shape new opportunities both for yourself and for our society. With our Faculty, you will be part of a leading tech university that is changing our world for the better. We offer an open, inclusive and entrepreneurial climate, in which we encourage you to make healthy choices, for example, with our flexible, customizable conditions.
University of Twente (UT)
University of Twente (UT) has entered the new decade with an ambitious, new vision, mission and strategy. As ‘the ultimate people-first university of technology’ we are rapidly expanding on our High Tech Human Touch philosophy and the unique role it affords us in society. Everything we do is aimed at maximum impact on people, society and connections through the sustainable utilisation of science and technology. We want to contribute to the development of a fair, digital and sustainable society through our open, inclusive and entrepreneurial attitude. This attitude permeates everything we do and is present in every one of UT’s departments and faculties. Building on our rich legacy in merging technical and social sciences, we focus on five distinguishing research domains: Improving healthcare by personalised technologies; Creating intelligent manufacturing systems; Shaping our world with smart materials; Engineering our digital society; and Engineering for a resilient world.
As an employer, University of Twente offers jobs that matter. We equip you as a staff member to shape new opportunities both for yourself and for our society. With us, you will be part of a leading tech university that is changing our world for the better. We offer an open, inclusive and entrepreneurial climate, in which we encourage you to make healthy choices, for example, with our flexible, customisable conditions.