Eindhoven University of Technology is recruiting an ambitious PhD candidate who will study how biomaterial exert influence on the metabolic activity of stem cells. The successful candidate is equally excited about material engineering, cell biology and computational analysis; she/he is passionate about molecular biology and has a desire to unravel biomolecular mechanisms. The research performed by the candidate is an essential link between biomaterial engineering and clinical application of biomaterials in regenerative medicine, which is the focus of the cluster Regenerative Engineering and Biomaterials.
Eindhoven University of Technology
TU/e is a University of Technology with a focus on Health, Energy, and Mobility. Within the Health area, several departments cooperate on topics such as Chemical Biology, Regenerative Medicine, Computational Biology, and Biosensing, with close links to healthcare and industry. TU/e is an open and inclusive university with short communication lines. The people are curious, collaborative, and strive for excellence. TU/e enables its academic staff to develop research and education at an internationally renowned level. Our lively campus community facilitates connections between staff and students, in an open, friendly, vibrant atmosphere that welcomes and inspires.
The Department of Biomedical Engineering (BME) offers a research-driven BME Bachelor program and Masters in Biomedical Engineering and Medical Engineering in its Graduate Program. Its research areas range from Molecular Bioengineering and Imaging, Biomechanics and Tissue Engineering to Biomedical Imaging and Modelling. The department has more than 800 students and up to 200 tenured and nontenured employees.
Tissue regeneration comes with fine tuning of the metabolic profile of stem cells in order to produce more tissue. It is unclear how tissue morphogenesis and metabolism are related and which signals cells receive to increase metabolism. In this project, the PhD candidate will collaborate in an international consortium to understand how cells regulate biogenesis of the Golgi system. Our task is to design biomaterials which allow micro-dissection of cells or which control the biogenesis of the Golgi system. The mechanism behind biomaterial-induced control of cell metabolism are analyzed using transcriptomics and high content imaging strategies. The PhD candidate is expected to do scientific research in the field described above, write a doctoral thesis, and publish research results in scientific journals. An educational and professional development program is offered to all PhD candidates. You will also be involved in teaching courses offered by the group, as well as contribute to the supervision of bachelor and master students.
We are accepting applications from enthusiastic and highly talented candidates who are interested in a dynamic, stimulating, and ambitious environment to perform their research.
We are looking for candidates that meet the following requirements:
- A background in Biomedical Engineering (or similar) and interested in computational tools for hypothesis Generation.
- Effective communication of ideas, foster collaborations, and have a capability for independent thinking.
- Work independently within a dynamic team and be proficient in written and spoken English.
The research will be conducted within the Biolnterface Science (BIS) group in the Department of Biomedical Engineering under the supervision of prof. dr. Jan de Boer (www.jandeboerlab.com). Research at BiS is dedicated to understanding and applying basic cell biological principles at the Biointerfaces, especially for regenerative medicine. The research program is characterized by a holistic approach to both discovery and application, aiming at combining high throughput technologies, computational modeling, and experimental biology to streamline the wealth of biological knowledge to real clinical applications.
Conditions of employment
- A meaningful job in a dynamic and ambitious university with the possibility to present your work at international conferences.
- A full-time employment for four years, with an intermediate evaluation (go/no-go) after nine months.
- To develop your teaching skills, you will spend 10% of your employment on teaching tasks.
- To support you during your PhD and to prepare you for the rest of your career, you will make a Training and Supervision plan and you will have free access to a personal development program for PhD students (PROOF program).
- A gross monthly salary and benefits (such as a pension scheme, pregnancy and maternity leave, partially paid parental leave) in accordance with the Collective Labor Agreement for Dutch Universities.
- Additionally, an annual holiday allowance of 8% of the yearly salary, plus a year-end allowance of 8.3% of the annual salary.
- Should you come from abroad and comply with certain conditions, you can make use of the so-called ‘30% facility’, which permits you not to pay tax on 30% of your salary.
- A broad package of fringe benefits, including an excellent technical infrastructure, moving expenses, and savings schemes.
- Family-friendly initiatives are in place, such as an international spouse program, and excellent on-campus children day care and sports facilities.
Information and application
Do you recognize yourself in this profile and would you like to know more? For questions
regarding the academic content of the position, please contact prof.dr. Jan de Boer, j.d.boer[at]tue.nl
For more information about the Biolnterface Science group, see jandeboerlab.com and see here for more information about the Biomedical Engineering department at TU/e.
For information about terms of employment, click here or contact HRServices.gemini[at]tue.nl
Please visit www.tue.nl/jobs to find out more about working at TU/e!
We invite you to submit a complete application by using the ‘apply now’-button on this page.
The application should include a:
- One-page personal motivation letter.
- CV including the names and contact details of two recent references.
Only complete applications will be considered. We look forward to your application and will screen it as soon as we have received it. Screening will continue until the position has been filled.
We do not respond to applications that are sent to us in a different way.
Please keep in mind you can upload only 5 documents up to 2 MB each. If necessary please combine files.