The Artificial Intelligence Thrust Area under the Information Hub at HKUST(GZ) is established to project and grow HKUST’s strength in AI and contribute to the nation’s drive to become a world leader in AI. The Master of Philosophy (MPhil) and Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) Programs in Artificial Intelligence are offered as an integral part of the endeavor to establish a world-renowned AI research center with the mission to advance applied research in AI as well as fundamental research relevant to the application areas.
The PhD Program aims to train students in original research in AI, and to cultivate independent, interdisciplinary and innovative thinking that is essential for a successful career in AI-related industry or academia. A PhD graduate is expected to demonstrate mastery of knowledge in the chosen discipline and is able to synthesize and create new knowledge, making original and substantial scientific contributions to the discipline.
On successful completion of the PhD program, graduates will be able to:
- Demonstrate thorough knowledge of the literature and a comprehensive understanding of scientific methods and techniques relevant to AI;
- Demonstrate practical skills in building AI systems;
- Critically apply theories, methodologies, and knowledge to address fundamental questions in AI;
- Independently pursue research or innovation of significance in AI applications; and
- Demonstrate skills in oral and written communication sufficient for a professional career.
To qualify for admission, applicants must meet all of the following requirements. Admission is selective and meeting these minimum requirements does not guarantee admission.1. General Admission Requirements of the University
- Applicants seeking admission to a master’s degree program should have obtained a bachelor’s degree from a recognized institution, or an approved equivalent qualification;
- Applicants seeking admission to a doctoral degree program should have obtained a bachelor’s degree with a proven record of outstanding performance from a recognized institution; or presented evidence of satisfactory work at the postgraduate level on a full-time basis for at least one year, or on a part-time basis for at least two years.
2. English Language Admission Requirements
Applicants have to fulfill English Language requirements with one of the following proficiency attainments:
- TOEFL-iBT: 80*
- TOEFL-pBT: 550
- TOEFL-Revised paper-delivered test: 60 (total scores for Reading, Listening and Writing sections)
- IELTS (Academic Module): Overall score: 6.5 and All sub-score: 5.5
* refers to the total score in one single attempt
Applicants are not required to present TOEFL or IELTS score if
- their first language is English, or
- they obtained the bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) from an institution where the medium of instruction was English.