The Architecture & Technology (A&T) Doctoral Programme is looking for exceptional, young candidates to join our group of 50+ international PhD students.
We are offering three paid, full-time (100%), 3-year PhD fellowships to start on October 1, 2022.
About the Programme
The A&T Doctoral Programme is ETH Zurich’s interdisciplinary educational platform committed to training scholars in research and teaching of technology in architecture. The programme is offered and managed collaboratively by the chairs of the Institute of Technology in Architecture (ITA). The work of the ITA chairs assimilates many diverse aspects of employing science, technology and engineering in architecture, including computational design of buildings and structures, building processes and systems, digital and robotic construction and fabrication, and many others. For more information about our institute, please consult the ITA website, and check out the ten years of ITA video.
The following chairs are currently involved in the A&T doctoral programme:
Successful applicants will join one of the above chairs under the mentorship of the respective professor. Hence, we expect the candidates to define which chair/professor would be most suitable for the realisation of their research proposal and indicate this explicitly in their application packages. Although the selected applicant will be primarily associated with the selected chair, the interdisciplinary character of the programme ensures the involvement of other parties during the studies. For example, one of the milestones of this doctoral programme is the Research Qualifying Exam (RQE), in which doctoral students defend their research plan before all ITA professors and researchers. Our work takes place in the Arch_Tec_Lab, a high-tech zero-emissions building designed and developed by ITA.
We are looking for excellent candidates whose work demonstrates productive synergies between architecture and technology. We welcome both architects with a strong technical, engineering or scientific background or interests, and engineers/scientists whose work relates to architecture. We advise the applicants to thoroughly consult the ITA chairs’ websites before applying to make sure their research interests are compatible.
What we offer
Since its inauguration, 25 scholars have been granted an A&T Fellowship. Graduates of the programme have been very successful in obtaining academic positions at leading research institutions all over the world or high-level positions in industry.
The programme provides funding for three years. It offers excellent working conditions and unique research infrastructure. Successful applicants will be employed 100% and will receive monthly salaries, based on a standard rate.
Please find the detailed information about the doctorate at ETH Zurich in the AVETH survival guide.
Suitable candidates must hold a Master’s degree acquired at the university level in architecture, engineering or related fields (e.g., MSc, MEng or MArch). Upon successful admission, depending on the student’s academic background, the ETH administration office will evaluate if a candidate needs to take any additional exams at ETH during their first year of studies.
English is the official language. English language certificates are a welcome addition to an application package but are not formally required.
We look forward to receiving your online application with the following documents:
- a cover letter, stating:
- the applicant’s career plans
- reasons for pursuing a doctorate in Architecture & Technology at ETH Zurich
- arguments why they would be the right candidate
- the relevance of their background/past experiences in pursuing a doctorate
- under which ITA chair/professor they wish to work during their studies
- an academic/long curriculum vitae (CV), including a publication list (if applicable)
- a three-page (maximum) research statement, including:
- the identification of the principal research field(s) or topic(s) of interest
- an outline and a summary of the research proposal
- a portfolio or work samples
Please note that we exclusively accept applications submitted through our online application portal. When uploading requested documents choose the following attachment types:
- For a cover letter, select “Cover Letter”
- For a curriculum vitae, select “CV”
- For a research statement, select “Other” and add the comment “Research Statement” (without quotes)
- For a portfolio of work samples, select “Application Package (several documents)”
All attached files must be in PDF format.
Each candidate needs to be supported by three referees for the application. In support of the application, three referees should send their recommendation letters by e-mail to email@example.com.
The submission deadline for both application package and recommendation letters is January 31, 2022. Incomplete submissions will not be considered. The timeline is as follows:
- Until January 31, 2022: Applicants should submit their application package. After the initial screening, the eligible application packages are forwarded to the corresponding chairs. After internal assessments and interviews, each chair may select their candidate for the shortlist.
- Mid-March 2022: The shortlisted applicants are invited for an online interview with all participating professors.
- Latest by April 1, 2022: The applicants are notified about the outcome of the application process.