A fully funded PhD student position is available in the Algae Synthetic Biology lab, headed by Assistant Prof. Michele Fabris, in the Department of Green Technology (IGT) from January 1st 2022 (or as soon as possible thereafter) for a period of three years. The PhD project will focus on the investigation and characterization of microalgae metabolism and genetics, and on the translation of this fundamental knowledge into strain engineering strategies aimed at the photosynthetic production of bioactive compounds of commercial interests. The PhD student will join a vibrant, diverse, and international research environment, and will have the opportunity to develop co-teaching and co-supervision skills.
The Algae Synthetic Biology Lab is part of the Biotechnology section, a multidisciplinary research division within IGT dedicated to developing innovative, sustainable solutions from biological systems to provide food, feed, chemicals, and renewable energy. The Biotechnology section is distinguished by collaborative, international and interdisciplinary research and hosts world class super resolution microscopy facilities and expertise, with direct access to SDU’s cutting-edge flow cytometry and metabolomics facilities.
The successful candidate will have:
- A Master’s degree (equivalent to a Danish master’s degree) in Molecular Biology, Genetics, Microbiology, Biotechnology, Bioengineering or related fields.
- Background in molecular biology.
- Familiarity with analytical chemistry techniques (GC-MS, LC-MS, HPLC).
- Strong analytical skills, motivation and capacity to work independently as well as in a team.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English.
For further information contact Assistant Professor Michele Fabris,
If you experience technical problems you must contact email@example.com.
Conditions of employment
Applicants are required to have a master’s degree (equivalent to a Danish master’s degree) at the time of enrollment and employment. Employment as a PhD fellow is a 3-year salaried position (start salary amounts to approx. 3.378,- EURO per month incl. supplements).
Employment of a PhD fellow can only happen after the Head of the PhD School has approved the candidate for admission to the PhD school. Employment and enrollment will cease without further notice at the end of the period.
A PhD fellow is not allowed to have any kind of sideline employment, while enrolled as PhD fellow at the faculty.
Employment is governed by the Protocol on PhD Research Fellows signed by the Danish Ministry of Finance and the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations. Please check links for more information on salary and taxation.
The successful candidate will be enrolled at SDU in accordance with Faculty regulations and the Danish Ministerial Order on the PhD Programme at the Universities (PhD order), read more here.
The assessment process
Read about the Assessment and selection process. Shortlisting may be used.
The Faculty expects applicants to read the Faculty information for prospective PhD students and the SDU information on How to apply before applying.
The application deadline is November 1st 2021.
The application must be in English and must include the following – the required forms must be found at the Faculty website:
- Completed TEK PhD application form for 5+3 applicants. Find the form at the Faculty website.
- Motivation letter stating your specific interest, motivation and qualifications for the project in question (max. 2 pages). Upload in the field called “Project description”.
- Detailed Curriculum Vitae, describing research, publication and teaching experience, computational skills and including personal contact information.
- Verified copies of the official bachelor diploma and master’s diploma and transcripts of exams, both original and translated into English.
- Completed TEK PhD form for calculation grade point average. Find the form at the Faculty website. Upload in one of the fields called “Publication”.
- An official document describing the grading scheme of the awarding universities (if not Danish). Upload in one of the fields called “Publication”.
- An official and verified written assessment of the thesis or dissertation project from the grade giving institution, if the thesis/examination project is evaluated by approved/passed. The statement must clearly state that the candidate has been among the top 30 pct. in the graduation class for the study programme. Upload in one of the fields called “Publication”.
- List of publications and maximum 2 examples of relevant publications, in case you have any publications. Please attach one pdf-file for each publication.
- Names of references and reference letters may also be included. You’re welcome to use the form for reference letter at the Faculty website.
The University wishes our staff to reflect the diversity of society and thus welcomes applications from all qualified candidates regardless of personal background.