This PhD position on a highly accurate, high bandwidth piezo driver for lithography and metrology is part of a larger multi-disciplinary project named:
“Advanced piezo-electric wafer stage for next generation lithography and metrology applications”.
In this project, in collaboration with the industrial partner ASML, in total four PhD candidates are aiming to demonstrate the feasibility of an advanced moving stage for holding silicon wafers in which light-weight and compact piezo-electric actuators are used. To enable the required high accuracy and speed, a new highly accurate piezo driver is required which shall provide an unprecedented positioning bandwidth.
The PhD candidate will investigate piezo crystals and develop the required power electronics as part of a positioning demonstrator system. The target is to make a sub-nanometer accurate positioning system featuring ppm level noise isolation from its environment. To do so, the deflection of the piezo crystal shall be linearized and the position loop bandwidth needs to be maximized. The candidate shall be able to tackle the physics of the piezo crystal, design self-sensing control, minimize piezo hysteresis, and implement the crystal-sensor-amplifier system in hardware to verify the design by measurement.
The PhD candidate will be based in the Electromechanics and Power Electronics (EPE) group in the Electronical Engineering department and will collaborate intensively with the other three PhD candidates in the project at the Electrical Engineering (optical and control systems) and Mechanical (system engineering) Departments as well as researchers of the industry.
The project, in collaboration with the industrial partner ASML, is also supported by the Eindhoven Engine, innovator accelerator in the Brainport region.
Electromechanics and Power Electronics group
The EPE-group research activities span all facets of Electromechanics and Power Electronics,
in particular advanced mechatronics systems with magnetically levitated linear and planar actuators, multi-level power converters and high-precision power amplifiers. The EPE group
has a state-of-the-art 650m2 laboratory with multiphysical measurements (electrical, magnetic, and thermal):
It is a world leading group in the field of multiscale modeling and design techniques for high-precision electromagnetic motion systems with extreme dynamic performance indexes (accelerations, velocities, accuracy). The group carries out both fundamental and applied research and has many research collaborations with industrial partners. The group consists of
50 people of which 20 PhD students, 5 PostDocs, and 4 PDEng students.
We are looking for candidates with a MSc diploma in Physics, Applied Physics or Electrical Engineering with strong affinity in the physics of piezo-drives as well as the development of the required power electronics and strong knowledge of electrostatics and mechanical stresses.
The selected doctoral student will be appointed in the Electromechanics and Power Electronics Group (https://www.tue.nl/epe). The candidate should have:
- Demonstrated experience in the physics of piezoelectric effects and crystalline materials (like mechanical stress, hysteresis).
- Experience in material analysis techniques with atomic resolution.
- Experience in analog design.
- Knowledge of control of non-linear processes.
- Experience of PCB design optimized for EMC and thermal performance.
- Strong skills in programming tools (Matlab, FEM packages, VHDL).
- Knowledge of piezoelectric actuator design for applications in active vibration control is a plus.
- Strong analytical and research capabilities.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to independently organize his/her own work, to solve problems, to achieve desirable goals and to cooperate.
- Work experience in multi partner international project environment is a plus.
- Project management skills are also a plus.
- Ability to participate in the teaching process in BSc and MSc programs (both taught in English).
- Good scientific writing and documentation skills.
- Strong command of the English language (knowledge of Dutch/German language is a plus).
Conditions of employment
- Challenging job in a dynamic and ambitious university and a stimulating internationally renowned research environment, with the possibility to present your work at international conferences.
- A full-time employment for four years, with an intermediate evaluation after one year.
- To support you during your PhD and to prepare you for the rest of your career, you will have free access to a personal development program for PhD students (PROOF program).
- A gross monthly salary and benefits in accordance with the Collective Labor Agreement for Dutch Universities.
- Additionally, an annual holiday allowance of 8% of the yearly salary, plus a year-end allowance of 8.3% of the annual salary.
- A broad package of fringe benefits, including an excellent technical infrastructure, moving expenses, and savings schemes.
- Family-friendly initiatives are in place, such as an international spouse program, and excellent on-campus children day care and sports facilities.
Information and application
Do you recognize yourself in this profile and would you like to know more about the project? Please contact the chair of the EPE group – prof.dr. Elena Lomonova, e.lomonova[at]tue.nl.
For information about terms of employment, click here or contact HR Services Flux, HRServices.flux[at]tue.nl
Please visit www.tue.nl/jobs to find out more about working at TU/e!
If you are interested in this position, you can only use the ‘apply now’-button on this page.
Your application must contain the following documents:
- A cover letter explaining your motivation and suitability for the position;
- A detailed Curriculum Vitae (including a list of publications and key achievements in research project(s);
- Contact information of at least two references;
- A complete list of the marks obtained during your whole university career
- Graduation thesis.
Recommendations will be requested upon the submission of the documents.
We do not respond to applications that are sent to us in a different way.
Please keep in mind you can upload only 5 documents up to 2 MB each. If necessary please combine files.